lookin' into RadOnc...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannaberad

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
All right, so I'm wondering how do I get started in this field. I'm blessed with a very nice board score(260), but not much else...a basic science paper in college, an unknown med school. What are my odds, and what can I do to strengthen them? (Research?) Do I need AOA?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by wannaberad
All right, so I'm wondering how do I get started in this field. I'm blessed with a very nice board score(260), but not much else...a basic science paper in college, an unknown med school. What are my odds, and what can I do to strengthen them? (Research?) Do I need AOA?

An Unknown med school?

I think you need the whole picture. You will be assessed on your ability and "fit" into rad onc. A 260 is nice but in this competitive era what shows that you really want and would be a contribution to radonc. Many out there with more earthy board scores have work and papers in the field that make them very competitive. Also do NOT underestimate how you come across in interview. This is a major feature.

Unknown=not particularly famous. I think it's good, but who cares what I think? You indicate you're at Hopkins...how many of your colleagues over there didn't come from Columbia, Duke, Harvard, Wash U, Hopkins itself, etc.? (I'm willing to bet few, if any.)

At any rate, I get the message: papers and personality. (Is there any field where the interview doesn't matter? ;) ) Thank you very much for your help!

Originally posted by wannaberad
Unknown=not particularly famous. I think it's good, but who cares what I think? You indicate you're at Hopkins...how many of your colleagues over there didn't come from Columbia, Duke, Harvard, Wash U, Hopkins itself, etc.? (I'm willing to bet few, if any.)

At any rate, I get the message: papers and personality. (Is there any field where the interview doesn't matter? ;) ) Thank you very much for your help!

Well Im from st geroges to begin with.
One guy is from Chicago med
One from UT at Galveston
2 from Kansas City
Robert Wood Johnson
UMD
THat's 7 out of 10; the others are hopkins x2, and ine from Uniformed Health Services.

I think personality doesnt matter in the surgical specialites. :laugh: