About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lookin' into RadOnc...

Discussion in 'Radiation Oncology' started by wannaberad, Feb 28, 2004.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. wannaberad

wannaberad Member

SDN 7+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    All right, so I'm wondering how do I get started in this field. I'm blessed with a very nice board score(260), but not much else...a basic science paper in college, an unknown med school. What are my odds, and what can I do to strengthen them? (Research?) Do I need AOA?
  2. stephew

stephew SDN Super Moderator Moderator Emeritus

SDN 10+ Year Member
    An Unknown med school?

I think you need the whole picture. You will be assessed on your ability and "fit" into rad onc. A 260 is nice but in this competitive era what shows that you really want and would be a contribution to radonc. Many out there with more earthy board scores have work and papers in the field that make them very competitive. Also do NOT underestimate how you come across in interview. This is a major feature.
  3. wannaberad

wannaberad Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Unknown=not particularly famous. I think it's good, but who cares what I think? You indicate you're at Hopkins...how many of your colleagues over there didn't come from Columbia, Duke, Harvard, Wash U, Hopkins itself, etc.? (I'm willing to bet few, if any.)

At any rate, I get the message: papers and personality. (Is there any field where the interview doesn't matter? ;) ) Thank you very much for your help!
  4. stephew

stephew SDN Super Moderator Moderator Emeritus

SDN 10+ Year Member
    Well Im from st geroges to begin with.
    One guy is from Chicago med
    One from UT at Galveston
    2 from Kansas City
    Robert Wood Johnson
    UMD
    THat's 7 out of 10; the others are hopkins x2, and ine from Uniformed Health Services.

I think personality doesnt matter in the surgical specialites. :laugh: