Looking at an exam for a DO school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shinbeats

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my best friends is a medical student at a DO school. I was looking at an exam from his school, a pretty well respected DO school. I don't want to mention any names but it was an interesting experience. DO schools do indeed cover a lot of material which MD schools do but their style of asking questions is extremely different, they also emphasize things that are very different and to be honest a lot of the syndromes and material that was on their exam was completely unknown to me. I don't know if this is part of the OMM thing or if I'm just missing something.

My biggest concern is that DO and MD schools learn the same exact thing. We are both physicians that practice equally and should know almost the same thing but why is it that I'm unable to do well on their exams but still be able to do fairly well on the Uworld and my MD school exams. I fear that maybe my program is not giving me the depth of knowledge that I need!?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
…DO schools do indeed cover a lot of material which MD schools do…

Is this honestly a surprise? We cover the exact same material MD schools do. We do get the same unrestricted license to practice medicine and surgery at the end of our 4 years as you do too.

Did you really not know that with the exception of the addition of OMM the curricula are exactly the same?

Is this honestly a surprise? We cover the exact same material MD schools do. We do get the same unrestricted license to practice medicine and surgery at the end of our 4 years as you do too.

Did you really not know that with the exception of the addition of OMM the curricula are exactly the same?

I know that captain obvious, what I was saying is that even though the material is the same a lot of the questions ask about material that was not emphasized or extra material and I found myself struggling to answer a lot of the questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you know it doesn't vary between MD school and MD school? I'd imagine every school has variations. Even between classes I remember large variation in how it was asked and what was being asked..

Regardless step 1,2,3 is the same for everyone. I can't imagine complex questions are very different considering many DO students use uworld and kaplan to study.

How do you know it doesn't vary between MD school and MD school? I'd imagine every school has variations. Even between classes I remember large variation in how it was asked and what was being asked..

Regardless step 1,2,3 is the same for everyone. I can't imagine complex questions are very different considering many DO students use uworld and kaplan to study.

Well at my school our exams were very similar to usmle step 1 questions. When I went over U world I was like ah okay I read about all of that stuff so I would imagine most if not all MD schools cover that material.
The questions from this Osteopathic medical school were very challenging and seemed very different. The material is the exact same, I just don't understand how they are asking questions from a completely different angle I never even thought about or even heard! these are questions out of the scope of OMM.

I know that captain obvious, what I was saying is that even though the material is the same a lot of the questions ask about material that was not emphasized or extra material and I found myself struggling to answer a lot of the questions.

Wow chill! Your post implied you were offering everyone verification that "DO schools do indeed cover a lot of material which MD schools do". Which shouldn't be a surprise, and given the internet's inability to properly display tone, seemed a bit ignorant.

So now that you've explained it, and the aggression is out of the way, what types of questions were you struggling with? Those of us DO students who will read this thread can tell you if the stuff you hadn't heard of was OMM specific.

Wow chill! Your post implied you were offering everyone verification that "DO schools do indeed cover a lot of material which MD schools do". Which shouldn't be a surprise, and given the internet's inability to properly display tone, seemed a bit ignorant.

So now that the aggression is out of the way, what types of questions were you struggling with? Those of us DO students who will read this thread can tell you if the stuff you hadn't heard of was OMM specific.

My biggest concern is that DO and MD schools learn the same exact thing. We are both physicians that practice equally and should know almost the same thing but why is it that I'm unable to do well on their exams but still be able to do fairly well on the Uworld and my MD school exams. I fear that maybe my program is not giving me the depth of knowledge that I need!?
You would assume that 2 physicians or 2 medical students learning the same material would for the sake of a patient have the same basic knowledge right? so that's my biggest concern right now.

So now that you've explained it, and the aggression is out of the way, what types of questions were you struggling with? Those of us DO students who will read this thread can tell you if the stuff you hadn't heard of was OMM specific.

These are questions that I never heard of in my program:-

When describing the carrying angle at the elbow, if it is <100, then it is considered:

Which of the following are barriers reached when you initiate the muscle energy treatment and on passive testing of a fully corrected somatic dysfunction

What is a C2ERSR diagnosis?

Anthrokinetic techniques use which of the following methods?

What is a Type 1 lesion when diagnosing a rotated lesion in the thoracic spine?

Man these questions killed me. I usually do pretty well on these exams I barely got a 50 % makes me feel like I'm incompetent right now.
I've looked at other MD school exams too and they aren't bad I'm usually able to answer them pretty easily but I was completely lost in this DO exam.

When describing the carrying angle at the elbow, if it is <100, then it is considered:

Which of the following are barriers reached when you initiate the muscle energy treatment and on passive testing of a fully corrected somatic dysfunction

Man these questions killed me. I usually do pretty well on these exams I barely got a 50 % makes me feel like I'm incompetent right now.
I've looked at other MD school exams too and they aren't bad I'm usually able to answer them pretty easily but I was completely lost in this DO exam.

I know very, very little about OMM, but those questions all sound like OMM to me. Of course you didn't understand most of them.

If it was an exam on pharmacology or pathology, it would be much closer to what every MD student in the country learns.

Lol all those questions you posted are OMM specific, so it's not surprising you had trouble with that.

#1 is something that I've never heard either. It sounds like an OMM thing though.

#2 is most definitely an OMM question. It's talking about restrictive and anatomic barriers respectively. Basically the anatomic barrier represents either end of the healthy joint's passive range of motion. The restrictive barrier is represents the limitation of passive range of motion caused by a somatic dysfunction (which is a whole other can or worms that you should probably be glad you don't have to worry about).

#3 is also an OMM question. Referring to the 2nd cervical vertebrae that is found to have restriction (restrictive barrier limits it's full range of motion). We motion test the vertebral segment and the diagnosis is written in terms of the position of least restriction. So in that case, the physician noted the greatest range of motion of C2 with the neck extended (the "E" in the diagnosis) and that the vertebral segment rotates and sidebends to the right better than to the left.

#4 I've also never heard of, but I'm sure it's an obscure OMM thing.

#5 Type 1 lesion is also an OMM concept, and has to do with vertebral motion. Basically type 1 lesions involve multiple vertebrae in sequence, and have certain characteristics with respect to the way they move. This is as opposed to Type 2 lesions which involve a single vertebrae and these lesions have different motion characteristics.

So don't worry, you never would have learned this stuff no matter which MD school you went to.

I know very, very little about OMM, but those questions all sound like OMM to me. Of course you didn't understand most of them.

If it was an exam on pharmacology or pathology, it would be much closer to what every MD student in the country learns.

Well kind of sucks because these questions seem pretty important and again I'm not trying to get into any drama but this is a wealth of knowledge that I wish I could learn. Looking back at this preclinical information it definitely seems like DO students have a leg up because they are taught extra information that might be critical in patient care on top of everything that MDs learn. Back when I was a premed, I obviously didn't understand, I thought that okay they learn OMM- I don't know what it is and who cares. Now as a medical student taken preclinical courses or the majority of them and engaging in direct basic patient care all of this is some good stuff and must come handy in patient care. I actually know patients myself that had some issues/symptoms slightly similar to what are discussed in these OMM questions but again this is way beyond my scope of knowledge and it really sucks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well kind of sucks because these questions seem pretty important and again I'm not trying to get into any drama but this is a wealth of knowledge that I wish I could learn. Looking back at this preclinical information it definitely seems like DO students have a leg up because they are taught extra information that might be critical in patient care on top of everything that MDs learn. Back when I was a premed, I obviously didn't understand, I thought that okay they learn OMM- I don't know what it is and who cares but now as a medical student having taken all that this is some good stuff and must come handy in patient care.

Yeah, there's pretty much nothing about OMM that's "critical" to patient care. It's almost 100% geared toward musculoskeletal aches and pains. I've seen it do great things for people with chronic back pain, neck pain, sports injuries etc. but none of it is what I'd call critical for patient care.

And to be honest, most of us don't find it enjoyable or all too applicable in most situations either. I'm happy where I am, and I like the idea of being a DO; but I don't really see myself using the OMM as a physician with any sort of regularity.

I do have some interesting ideas for research in that arena if I ever got the chance though.

If you really want to know what OMM is about, there are some good youtube videos with OMM techniques described, and you can also look at Savarese OMT review, which has a pretty good outline of OMM principles.

Well kind of sucks because these questions seem pretty important and again I'm not trying to get into any drama but this is a wealth of knowledge that I wish I could learn. Looking back at this preclinical information it definitely seems like DO students have a leg up because they are taught extra information that might be critical in patient care on top of everything that MDs learn. Back when I was a premed, I obviously didn't understand, I thought that okay they learn OMM- I don't know what it is and who cares but now as a medical student having taken all that this is some good stuff and must come handy in patient care.

Most DO students (the ones who haven't had too much Kool-Aid) will tell you that OMM can be a useful adjunct to traditional medical care in certain patients and certain situations (just like any other therapeutic modality). Some of the techniques are very intuitive, and you probably learned them in your clinical skills course without ever realizing you were diagnosing and/or treating somatic dysfunction. Other techniques are pretty far out there (IMO) and have questionable efficacy. You might look like a genius when you treat a patient's acute hip pain with your hands, but there are certainly other, equally effective ways to achieve the same outcome. Your training is not sub-par in any way, bud. Relax!

Yeah, there's pretty much nothing about OMM that's "critical" to patient care. It's almost 100% geared toward musculoskeletal aches and pains. I've seen it do great things for people with chronic back pain, neck pain, sports injuries etc. but none of it is what I'd call critical for patient care.

And to be honest, most of us don't find it enjoyable or all too applicable in most situations either. I'm happy where I am, and I like the idea of being a DO; but I don't really see myself using the OMM as a physician with any sort of regularity.

I do have some interesting ideas for research in that arena if I ever got the chance though.

Man do you know how many people come to my preceptors office complaining about pain especially back pain and the MDs in our office can barely do anything about it other than prescribe pain meds all day with no permanent treatment.

"Osteopathic manipulative treatment for low back pain: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.
Licciardone JC, Brimhall AK, King LN."

I just read online, "A 2005 meta-analysis and systematic review of six randomized controlled trials of osteopathic manipulative treatment (OMT) that involved blinded assessments of lower back pain in ambulatory settings concluded that OMT significantly reduces low back pain, and that the level of pain reduction is greater than expected from placebo effects alone and persists for at least three months"

If you really want to know what OMM is about, there are some good youtube videos with OMM techniques described, and you can also look at Savarese OMT review, which has a pretty good outline of OMM principles.

This is some good stuff lol I'm definitely going to look into this.

Im a DO student. Indeed, all of those questions are OMM questions. The more I learn about OMM, the more I dislike it and question its validity. Sometimes I think it distracts us from learning more about contemporary medicine. A large portion of my classmates feel the same way. It is what it is.

Im a DO student. Indeed, all of those questions are OMM questions. The more I learn about OMM, the more I dislike it and question its validity. Sometimes I think it distracts us from learning more about contemporary medicine. A large portion of my classmates feel the same way. It is what it is.

This might sound like an ignorant question but do you guys do OMM the entire year or is it divided as an individual course?
A lot of the questions, which I realize now thanks to you guys are OMM, honestly did seem to be masking the basic principles which is why I was completely lost.
I kept thinking to myself well I covered this material and did pretty well how am I bombing all these questions and completely clueless about what's going on. Any way do you feel like the strong emphasis on OMM is weakening your "traditional" clinical skills though?

This might sound like an ignorant question but do you guys do OMM the entire year or is it divided as an individual course?
A lot of the questions, which I realize now thanks to you guys are OMM, honestly did seem to be masking the basic principles which is why I was completely lost.
I kept thinking to myself well I covered this material and did pretty well how am I bombing all these questions and completely clueless about what's going on. Any way do you feel like the strong emphasis on OMM is weakening your "traditional" clinical skills though?

Honestly, most DO schools do not actually have much of a "strong emphasis" on OMM anymore. Many universities only have one hour of lecture and 2-3 hours of lab per week, so it's not like we spend as much time on OMM as we do on pharmacology, pathology, internal medicine, surgery, etc. There are pre-doctoral fellowships in OMM at most COMs for students who want an extra year of clinical experience with respect to OMM, but for the most part OMM is a pretty light course compared to the rest of the DO curriculum.

Yes and No. For some OMM isn't so simple, but for most it's pretty much a no brainer. Like it's the type of class that you can study for the midterm for an hour or two the night before and do just fine.

We (at my school) spend the vast majority of our time on traditional clinical skills, and basic/clinical science anyway. And you have to remember that DO programs (at least mine) have longer academic years than MD programs, I assume that this is because of the ~4hrs per week (scheduled) of OMM instruction we go through.

Clinically, I think DO's can hold their own with anyone. In the realm of research and advancement of medical knowledge, I think we pretty much don't contribute there. We're clinicians all the way in DO land.

Weekly lecture and lab mandatory for first 2 yr. stressful (and sometimes arbitrary) practical exams 3 times/semester and wacky written exams that leave you scratching your head more often than not. (Who cares what date in history A.T. Still "flung the banner of osteopathy to the breeze"?! (June 22, 1874. I am sure I sacrificed something more important in committing that little bit of trivia to memory.) we also have frequent pop quizzes which add up to another written exam at the end of the semester.
I'm at LECOM which is staunchly osteopathic--for some reason I didn't expect that. I interviewed at DMU for heaven's sake and it didn't seem as dogmatic about OMM.

Complimenting DO students on their ability to use OMM...an interesting new technique to start a MD/DO war.

I could care less about what anyone on SDN thinks about MD or DOs. They are both licensed physicians that treat patients right? End of story.
If anyone tries to belittle either one just because of the title, they are not only ignorant but extremely obnoxious.
I really was concerned that maybe I'm missing out on knowledge that I could use towards my patients especially since I want to be a primary care physician in the future.

OMM is the entire year. We have roughly 3 hours per week (2 lab/1 lecture) with a few midterms, a final, and a practical. About your second question, sometimes I fell that select members of our school feel similar about OMM as myself, so sometimes I wonder if they teach it because they HAVE to. Some members are crazy about it. Really, 3 hours a week isn't much, and it is definitely less than some other DO schools from what I have heard. When it comes to the basic sciences, you rarely hear about the osteopathic approach, or osteopathic manipulation techniques. So what I am trying to get at is that over 90% of our exposure to learning has nothing to do with OMM. Some of us are just concerned that the 10% should be modified and more empirically studied to increase the validity of the procedures. I feel that it IS very valuable in the sense that you become very comfortable putting your hands on other people, and this will likely be very valuable as a physician. Sometimes I would rather be in the lab doing research on novel drugs or studying stem cells, however. But what would I know? Im just a lowly MS-I!

Yes and No. For some OMM isn't so simple, but for most it's pretty much a no brainer. Like it's the type of class that you can study for the midterm for an hour or two the night before and do just fine.

We (at my school) spend the vast majority of our time on traditional clinical skills, and basic/clinical science anyway. And you have to remember that DO programs (at least mine) have longer academic years than MD programs, I assume that this is because of the ~4hrs per week (scheduled) of OMM instruction we go through.

Clinically, I think DO's can hold their own with anyone. In the realm of research and advancement of medical knowledge, I think we pretty much don't contribute there. We're clinicians all the way in DO land.

Well I'm actually focusing towards becoming a clinician myself (primary care to be exact) and have no interest in research so this seemed like something very appealing to me. It might seem like OMM and DO schools are well known but it's only well known on SDN. Most of my fellow class mates have absolutely no idea about OMM and all we know about DO physicians is that they are licensed physicians with equal rights as the MDs in our hospitals. Matter of fact we have a faculty member (psychiatry) that's a DO but he never ever talks about OMM and it would just be awkward for me to go up to him and get more information. Thank you for your detailed insight and thanks to everyone else that responded this really has been informative for me.

OMM is the entire year. We have roughly 3 hours per week (2 lab/1 lecture) with a few midterms, a final, and a practical. About your second question, sometimes I fell that select members of our school feel similar about OMM as myself, so sometimes I wonder if they teach it because they HAVE to. Some members are crazy about it. Really, 3 hours a week isn't much, and it is definitely less than some other DO schools from what I have heard. When it comes to the basic sciences, you rarely hear about the osteopathic approach, or osteopathic manipulation techniques. So what I am trying to get at is that over 90% of our exposure to learning has nothing to do with OMM. Some of us are just concerned that the 10% should be modified and more empirically studied to increase the validity of the procedures. I feel that it IS very valuable in the sense that you become very comfortable putting your hands on other people, and this will likely be very valuable as a physician. Sometimes I would rather be in the lab doing research on novel drugs or studying stem cells, however. But what would I know? Im just a lowly MS-I!

God bless you, partner. I'd rather jump off a bridge than do bench work, but somebody has to do it, I guess.

Well I'm actually focusing towards becoming a clinician myself (primary care to be exact) and have no interest in research so this seemed like something very appealing to me. It might seem like OMM and DO schools are well known but it's only well known on SDN. Most of my fellow class mates have absolutely no idea about OMM and all we know about DO physicians is that they are licensed physicians with equal rights as the MDs in our hospitals. Matter of fact we have a faculty member (psychiatry) that's a DO but he never ever talks about OMM and it would just be awkward for me to go up to him and get more information. Thank you for your detailed insight and thanks to everyone else that responded this really has been informative for me.

:thumbup:

All I can say is that if you do end up in primary care, and you decide you want to learn OMM, there are plenty of opportunities to pick up the basics (which are all a non OMM specialist really needs) as a CME course. MD FP's do it all the time (well not all the time, but they are usually well represented at the CME courses on my campus).

I'm interested in an IM subspecialty, and I can't find many applications for OMM in the field I think I'm most interested in outside of a clinical research topic.

Last edited:

I thought you guys did OMM and covered less detail in certain classes?

:thumbup:

All I can say is that if you do end up in primary care, and you decide you want to learn OMM, there are plenty of opportunities to pick up the basics (which are all a non OMM specialist really needs) as a CME course. MD FP's do it all the time (well not all the time, but they are usually well represented at the CME courses on my campus).

Okay great! It's good to know that I can learn this down the road. Again my bad about starting a whole DO thread I forgot that some idiots on this forum especially premeds that haven't taken a single course in medical school love to start the whole MD vs DO drama. In the end of the day man it's all about being a licensed physician, getting the knowledge we need to take care of our patients and that's hopefully what all of us medical students are doing. Good luck in school! :thumbup:

I thought you guys did OMM and covered less detail in certain classes?

Come off it man, you of all people have researched the heck out of this stuff. You were going DO until like a week ago.

I'm not going to be trolled man, don't waste your time.

Okay great! It's good to know that I can learn this down the road. Again my bad about starting a whole DO thread I forgot that some idiots on this forum especially premeds that haven't taken a single course in medical school love to start the whole MD vs DO drama. In the end of the day man it's all about being a licensed physician, getting the knowledge we need to take care of our patients and that's hopefully what all of us medical students are doing. Good luck in school! :thumbup:

Likewise!

Talking about premeds here come a few to troll the thread :laugh:

Talking about premeds here come a few to troll the thread :laugh:

They can have it now if they want.

The OP's questions have been answered. And because everyone here seemed to be professional and levelheaded about it it got done in short order too.

I have to say, shinbeats seems to be one of the chillest posters I've come across lately. I'm so used to people posting ignorant crap that I didn't even read the OP correctly.

This thread was a breath of fresh air, lots better than what pre-DO has turned into lately.

Come off it man, you of all people have researched the heck out of this stuff. You were going DO until like a week ago.

I'm not going to be trolled man, don't waste your time.

I'm not trolling. I've heard that DO students spend a little less time in pharm/path in order to have time for OMM. And considering the lower pass rate/scores on USMLE it seems plausibly factual.

I'm not trolling. I've heard that DO students spend a little less time in pharm/path in order to have time for OMM. And considering the lower pass rate/scores on USMLE it seems plausibly factual.

Dude just stop seriously :laugh:

Hhhmmm...this thread was actually pretty civil and constructive. Thumbs up everybody.

Um, NO. We just add in OMM ~ 4 cr hr/sem. My M1 sem1 course load was about 39 cr. I think M2 sem1 is a little lighter, around 35 cr maybe?

Hhhmmm...this thread was actually pretty civil and constructive. Thumbs up everybody.

Yeah I actually learned a great deal from this thread. I did some research online and Harvard started a CME course on OMM in 2007. I don't know if they are still offering it they must be so if anyone is interested they could look into that later in their career. I myself am interested in Internal medicine and would love to see what OMM is about it definitely looks like it's very clinical based which is cool.

Yeah I actually learned a great deal from this thread. I did some research online and Harvard started a CME course on OMM in 2007. I don't know if they are still offering it they must be so if anyone is interested they could look into that later in their career. I myself am interested in Internal medicine and would love to see what OMM is about it definitely looks like it's very clinical based which is cool.

Idk about Harvard, but I shadowed a DO and she has CME classes for her MD residents to learn OMM. She/her program requires the MDs learn and implement OMM.

They can have it now if they want.

The OP's questions have been answered. And because everyone here seemed to be professional and levelheaded about it it got done in short order too.

I have to say, shinbeats seems to be one of the chillest posters I've come across lately. I'm so used to people posting ignorant crap that I didn't even read the OP correctly.

This thread was a breath of fresh air, lots better than what pre-DO has turned into lately.

I stopped going into premed forums they tend to be a complete waste of time. I found the Allopathic crowd to be a lot mature maybe because medical school is keeping us all in check haha

I could care less about what anyone on SDN thinks about MD or DOs. They are both licensed physicians that treat patients right? End of story.
If anyone tries to belittle either one just because of the title, they are not only ignorant but extremely obnoxious.
I really was concerned that maybe I'm missing out on knowledge that I could use towards my patients especially since I want to be a primary care physician in the future.

It was a joke brah

Took both COMLEX and USMLE. The COMLEX are first-order questions, with buzz words, colloquialisms, and gut recall, and straight out bizarro questions.

The USMLE questions are multi-step questions, with far more pharm, micro, and pathophys, and if you have a good grounding in those, you can probably figure it out.

The COMLEX has a lot more orthopedic and OMM questions, so of course you'll have problems figuring that stuff out.

I think the OP is trolling hard. His kung fu is strong.

I didn't know it was trolling to reconfirm the education I'm receiving is adequate especially when I'm paying 60-70k a year for it. Wouldn't you as a physician be a little inquisitive if another physician was talking about stuff that you had completely no idea about?
I would hope you would for the sake of the patient, I'm sorry maybe that concern is just "trolling hard" kung fu style. :scared:

I didn't know it was trolling to reconfirm the education I'm receiving is adequate especially when I'm paying 60-70k a year for it. Wouldn't you as a physician be a little inquisitive if another physician was talking about stuff that you had completely no idea about?
I would hope you would for the sake of the patient, I'm sorry maybe that concern is just "trolling hard" kung fu style. :scared:

Just out of curiosity, do you want to learn about naturopathic medicine since it isn't included in your allopathic medical education? Not meant to be ironic or sarcastic, just curious where your thirst for non-allopathic knowledge ends.