Looking bleek. Give me your opinions please.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cofo

Super Cool Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is my situation...

I just became a senior, and I'm a history major.
I lack biochemistry and both semesters of physics
As of now...
Science GPA is 2.73:eek: one F messed my GPA up.
Non-science GPA is 3.74:thumbup:
I will take my DAT this July and I am seriously expecting 20+.
and...3 out of 4 LORs are very strong.

1. Should I apply right now, take the DAT, and if I get 20+...do I have ANY kind of shot of at least scoring an interview?

2. If I don't stand the chance at getting 1 interview this cycle...
Should I take all science courses this fall and next spring semester, and THEN apply for next cycle? (If I do well in them, my science GPA will be above 3.0)...I know this because I've done the calculations :cool:
OR...would dental schools rather see me graduate from undergrad, graduate from a SPM, and then apply to dental schools?
.....Remember, I'm a history major so I haven't taken any science courses beside the pre-requisites for dental schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Here is my situation...

I just became a senior, and I'm a history major.
I lack biochemistry and both semesters of physics
As of now...
Science GPA is 2.73:eek: one F messed my GPA up.
Non-science GPA is 3.74:thumbup:
I will take my DAT this July and I am seriously expecting 20+.
and...3 out of 4 LORs are very strong.

1. Should I apply right now, take the DAT, and if I get 20+...do I have ANY kind of shot of at least scoring an interview?

2. If I don't stand the chance at getting 1 interview this cycle...
Should I take all science courses this fall and next spring semester, and THEN apply for next cycle? (If I do well in them, my science GPA will be above 3.0)...I know this because I've done the calculations :cool:
OR...would dental schools rather see me graduate from undergrad, graduate from a SPM, and then apply to dental schools?
.....Remember, I'm a history major so I haven't taken any science courses beside the pre-requisites for dental schools.

You have a stellar non-science GPA. If you expect to get above a 20 on the DAT, you'll have a stellar DAT score. Your Science GPA is lacking. 2 of 3 isn't bad at all.

Here's where I'm confused: how did one single F bring your science GPA down to below 2.75? If you had aced that class, your science GPA would still have been pretty low. So how do you expect to pull a 20+ on the DAT considering that you have had some difficulty in science courses? Granted, science is only a portion of the DAT, but can you really expect to perform well enough in other areas to compensate for the potentially low total science score?

There are a lot of issues with your low science GPA, but it's probably worth the money to apply this cycle anyway. Worst case scenario, you're out a couple thousand dollars... best case scenario, you get into an awesome dental school and get going an entire year in advance... seems like ok odds to me. If I were you, I would apply, and hope for the best.

Oh, and ROCK the DAT.

You have a stellar non-science GPA. If you expect to get above a 20 on the DAT, you'll have a stellar DAT score. Your Science GPA is lacking. 2 of 3 isn't bad at all.

Here's where I'm confused: how did one single F bring your science GPA down to below 2.75? If you had aced that class, your science GPA would still have been pretty low. So how do you expect to pull a 20+ on the DAT considering that you have had some difficulty in science courses? Granted, science is only a portion of the DAT, but can you really expect to perform well enough in other areas to compensate for the potentially low total science score?
Oh, and ROCK the DAT.

...:eek: ...Seriously, does anyone else agree with SuperTank that I should apply because I stand at least some chance of getting an interview??? And my science GPA does not reflect my knowledge of science at all....I know I'm going to rock the DAT.
Ah, I should have been more detailed, but I didn't want a lengthy explanation of my low science GPA to deter people from reading my post :D
Okay, I made an F in GenChem...retook and made a B. So...my other grades are as follows...

F...retook and made B in GenChem 1.
C in genChem 2.
C in Orgo 1.
B in Orgo 2 :D (...my school is known to have a very difficult science program btw, so I am happy with a B in Orgo2)!
A in botany
A in zoology
B in bio1 and B in bio2.

Members don't see this ad :)
how have you been a member of this forum since 2006 and you still don't know what needs to be done? (no offense)

how have you been a member of this forum since 2006 and you still don't know what needs to be done? (no offense)

Non taken, buddy. (I'm not your buddy, pal! ...south park anyone?)
I didn't know in 2006 what my GPA's would be during the time of me applying :idea:

There are a lot of issues with your low science GPA, but it's probably worth the money to apply this cycle anyway. Worst case scenario, you're out a couple thousand dollars... best case scenario, you get into an awesome dental school and get going an entire year in advance... seems like ok odds to me. If I were you, I would apply, and hope for the best.

Oh, and ROCK the DAT.

lolwut?

OP - DO NOT apply this cycle. You need to do postbacc work or a Master's program. Even with straight 20's, I sincerely doubt you will get in with a 2.7 sGPA (which, mind you, is the most important GPA - non-science GPA is trivial)

you may have a shot. Just apply and see what happens... ya never know. Good luck.

i don't think that's a good enough reason to waste a bunch on money and make yourself look like a weaker applicant to adcoms in future cycles. like I said in your other threads...take a look into some post-bac or masters programs.

I'd give it a shot. My science GPA was pretty bad too, but I made up for it in other places. Granted it took me 2 years to get in, but I got several interviews both times, and was waitlisted the first time. Do well on the DAT and apply, but don't apply to any school that would be a reach for you. Check out the GPA averages and stick to applying to the lower ones and look for schools who put more emphasis on other things (service to the community, for example). Like someone else said, worst case scenario is that you're out some cash. When you're making bank in 20 years, the money you spent on applications will be chump change. If you don't apply this year, you definitely won't get in. If you do apply this year, you have a shot. The answer seems clear to me!

2.73 sGPA is tough but doable. Just rock the DAT and apply as early as you can and see if you can get an interview. In the mean time, take some science classes to bring your GPA up.

...:eek: ...Seriously, does anyone else agree with SuperTank that I should apply because I stand at least some chance of getting an interview??? And my science GPA does not reflect my knowledge of science at all....I know I'm going to rock the DAT.
Ah, I should have been more detailed, but I didn't want a lengthy explanation of my low science GPA to deter people from reading my post :D
Okay, I made an F in GenChem...retook and made a B. So...my other grades are as follows...

F...retook and made B in GenChem 1.
C in genChem 2.
C in Orgo 1.
B in Orgo 2 :D (...my school is known to have a very difficult science program btw, so I am happy with a B in Orgo2)!
A in botany
A in zoology
B in bio1 and B in bio2.

I say go for it! the worse thing that can happen is you wont get in anywhere this time around and then you know you need to work on that science gpa. since you were not a science major either a post bacc or a masters could be helpful

dont worry too much about it, there are many aspects to the app, there's more factors than gpa...thats why you'll see ppl with 3.2s getting in and 3.6s getting rejected REGARDLESS of URM status

good luck! :luck:

Thank you all for your support. I will probably apply now that I have some confidence. If I don't try, I won't get in at all ;)
But regardless, I'm taking more science courses next semester---so good advice guys and gals :thumbup:

Here is the blunt truth.

If you don't apply, you don't have any chance.
If you DO apply, you STILL don't have chance.

Here is why.
With that lower sci GPA, your application will be filtered out via preliminary screening and won't even be looked at.

Do dental schools read through 2000+ personal statements and lists of EC activities? No!
They look at the numbers first--GPAs (sci&ovr) and DAT scores.

If you study super hard, take the DAT by the end of this summer, and score 23-24+ on TS and AA, then it's a different story. Your app will be definitely looked at for sure.

Otherwise, don't waste your time and money. Unless you have asbolutely nothing to do and have thosands of dollars to throw away just to have the "app" experience.