Looking for a good iphone/ipod medical drug app

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jjohnson623

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would like to hear recommendation on a good drug reference app.

Members don't see this ad.

Medscape. It takes up some space, but it's pretty good, not to mention free.

Members don't see this ad :)
Micromedix is free

• Epocrates
  • Micromedix
  • Lexicomp
  • Medscape

Get them all

I would recommend a new app called iHomeMD Pro. This is a standalone (meaning no internet connection necessary) drug reference app. What is unique about iHomeMD Pro is that it allows you to do direct searches for drugs to treat medical conditions. This may sound funny, but I find that not many apps actually have this practical function.

Micromedex > Lexicomp

Plus it's free.

I would recommend a new app called iHomeMD Pro. This is a standalone (meaning no internet connection necessary) drug reference app. What is unique about iHomeMD Pro is that it allows you to do direct searches for drugs to treat medical conditions. This may sound funny, but I find that not many apps actually have this practical function.

Medscape allows you to do this also and its free. I think Epocrates might but I don't really like it due to errors that I have found within it.

Micromedex (pure drug information) > Medscape >>> Epocrates

I hear Lexi-comp is really good and you can get Harrison's medical dictionary with it.

I have been using epocrates essentials for a while now with absolutely no problems, they have an array of useful apps within the essentials as for drugs, drug-interactions, symptoms, diagnosis, and calculation tables. Use the apps that best suit your setting.

Medscape is actually a portal app for WedMD's website. It is obviously a very comprehensive app. I have used it for quite some time. However, I find myself using iHomeMD Pro more often since my "discovery" of the app. iHomeMD Pro is more concise and gives more practical information. For example, if you search a common disease, Strep Throat. iHomeMD Pro serves up a list of drugs to treat the condition. On the other hand, Medscape serves up a comprehensive description of the disease, including methods of treatment. You actually need to be connected in order to retrieve these information from WedMD's website. So for practical purpose on daily usage, iHomeMD Pro could be a more useful tool.

Medscape is actually a portal app for WedMD's website. It is obviously a very comprehensive app. I have used it for quite some time. However, I find myself using iHomeMD Pro more often since my "discovery" of the app. iHomeMD Pro is more concise and gives more practical information. For example, if you search a common disease, Strep Throat. iHomeMD Pro serves up a list of drugs to treat the condition. On the other hand, Medscape serves up a comprehensive description of the disease, including methods of treatment. You actually need to be connected in order to retrieve these information from WedMD's website. So for practical purpose on daily usage, iHomeMD Pro could be a more useful tool.

That's wrong because I use Medscape most often even without internet connection on my rotations. You can search by disease states with subsequent treatments listed thereafter.

I have been using epocrates essentials for a while now with absolutely no problems, they have an array of useful apps within the essentials as for drugs, drug-interactions, symptoms, diagnosis, and calculation tables. Use the apps that best suit your setting.

It does have some pretty impressive apps but I'm not sure about the reliability of some of the information actually given by them. One of the many errors that I've looked up was the standard vanco trough. It was still giving me an archaic trough of 5-10 which is almost "never used." Actually, I've never ever seen it used but then again I am still very young so I hate to say never.

If I do have to use epocrates - it is to cross reference something.