Looking for advice about what to do with my life (21Q MCAT, 3.00 cGPA, 2.8 sGPA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I still say podiatry

Members don't see this ad.

Caribbean Medical Schools! OP could study really hard in med school and have a GPA..and do well on USMLE Step 1 and 2....Residency programs won't care about OP's undergrad GPA or MCAT score.

MCAT scores and USMLE scores tend to be correlated, and if the highest the OP can get studying 10 hours/day is a 21, the odds of the OP getting a USMLE score good enough to get into a residency with the added albatross of coming from a Carib school are probably not good.

OP, well apparently you're not dumb if you have a GRE close to 1200. Was this the general test or a subject test? If subject test, then what area? Have you tried an MCAT prep class? You need to retake classes or do a post-bac (which is essentially the same as retaking classes) to get you gpa to a decent number. If you really have the passion for medicine, then you will find a way to overcome the MCAT. What prep books did you use? You need to figure it out because you will need to pass the USMLE or COMLEX to be licensed. If you try to apply as you are, then you will only get rejected from both DO or MD because it looks like you cannot handle the rigors of medical school. If family issues are getting in the way, then wait or you may have to be selfish and tell them you need to focus on YOUR LIFE right now.

I wish you well.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP, well apparently you're not dumb if you have a GRE close to 1200. Was this the general test or a subject test? If subject test, then what area? Have you tried an MCAT prep class? You need to retake classes or do a post-bac (which is essentially the same as retaking classes) to get you gpa to a decent number. If you really have the passion for medicine, then you will find a way to overcome the MCAT. What prep books did you use? You need to figure it out because you will need to pass the USMLE or COMLEX to be licensed. If you try to apply as you are, then you will only get rejected from both DO or MD because it looks like you cannot handle the rigors of medical school. If family issues are getting in the way, then wait or you may have to be selfish and tell them you need to focus on YOUR LIFE right now.

I wish you well.

Yeah, it's not easy to score a 1200 on GRE.. but GRE is very different than MCAT though

Just retake the MCAT and switch up your study style. Get hopped up on caffeine, take as many practice tests as you can, and do something like audio osmosis to supplement yourself. Every time you've taken the MCAT so far, you've improved your score. So just keep going. Once you get a 30+, apply for an SMP and get As and Bs. The two high-linkage programs (EVMS and RFU) won't care if you've taken the MCAT several times, as long as you improve and end up with a decent score.

1) try harder...

2) you have chosen one of the most difficult career paths that there is to offer...

3) if you want it bad enough... (see step one)

Bottom line, people have been accepted with GPAs around yours to DO schools. The difference was that they had 30+ MCAT scores to offset the GPA. if you don't up that MCAT score drastically I do not think you'll be going anywhere in the US. Strongly consider Pod school, as PA school is far more competitive than many people seem to think. Good luck OP, wish you the best!