Looking for advice and input!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefuldpt42

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

So 6 years ago when I was 18 I was convicted of a misdemeanor, plead guilty and it is on my record. The school I am excepted to does not know about the misdemeanor but it will come up on the background check. Do you think this will effect my status at the school, clinicals and licensing?

Does anyone else out there have experience with this issue? Any advice and input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Call the admissions office and speak to the about this right away. Trying to keep it under the rug can only hurt you. If it's a misdemeanor it shouldn't be a huge issue but I don't know what kind of policies your schools may have. Hopefully there was nowhere you were supposed to report this on your app...iirc ptcas only asks about felonies.

Reactions: 1 users
If asked, and you omitted it, I would definitely do as Desert PT said. If the school did not ask I don't see what the issue is. IMHO if they cared they should have and probably would have asked.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would still call and ask if background checks that reveal misdemeanors are an issue or not. The op could stay anonymous for the initial call if they wished.

I agree.... ASK. Even if it doesn't affect your initial standing of acceptance, make certain that it doesn't affect your clinical placements either. There was a thread on here a year back, in which one of the schools told on of their accepted students that there may be a chance that his felony could affect his clinical placements later on. They told him that he can still attend the program but that he would be attending at his own risk. So make certain!

Reactions: 1 user
That was Nova Southeastern who offered acceptance to an applicant who had a previous felony conviction. That student did not attend, however, because he/she could not get accepted to do clinicals anywhere. Finding out what crimes disqualifies you from doing clinicals is a must. Some misdemeanor crimes could very well eliminate you. The vast majority probably won't though. Are you willing to share what the crime was? I could then offer you a pretty well informed opinion as you can say I specialized in that subject. You may also be able to get the crime expunged from your record. You would first have to make an appointment to speak to the DA or Prosecuting Attorney to get their blessing and then file a motion with the court.