Looking for advice, # of schools to apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ujmogeralt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
(the little face next to the post shouldn't be "angry" - not sure how that got there)
I will be applying to medical schools this coming cycle and I was wondering if anyone could give me a little advice on number/quality of schools to apply to (welcome to a long post I hope you'll continue reading). My personal statement is edited by one (maybe will be two) medical students who have worked on admissions committees as well as another medical student who has not – along with that a few others including a "career planning/development" (PhD in Higher Ed employee at my school who has been extremely helpful to myself/others in the past) are reviewing.

Overview of my application:

-cGPA: 3.65 – sGPA: 3.59 both increasing every semester (minus one where I got a 3.5) since first semester in college (was around 3.35)

-33 MCAT – 11 PS, 12 VR, 10 BS

-two research projects – one currently submitted for publishing as secondary author (I submitted/presented at a statewide [Iowa] undergraduate research conference), the second as primary but it is not currently as far down the line, will be submitted for publishing late fall 2013

-have done volunteering with Boys' and Girls' Club, Habitat for Humanity, Meals from the Heartland, worked a philanthropy for Iowa Food bank and another similar charity and am currently working on starting another for Children's Miracle Network

-Tri-Beta honor society, honors scholarship, social fraternity, marathon-club (did a half not a full - was the day after I took the MCAT, worst day ever)

-Founding member (one of 6 people) of Phi Delta Epsilon medical fraternity colony (soon to be chapter) at my undergraduate university and current EC position holder (Secretary/Risk Manager)

-425 (will be >800 at the end of this summer) hours internship in a clinical setting (long term care center for individuals with developmental disabilities)

-50 hours shadowing (will be close to 80 by the end of June), mostly with osteopathic physicians

-Lastly: I have a parent with a physical disability that has been present for all/most of my life and was what started my interest in medicine

About schools: It is most important for me to stay in the Midwest if at all possible, and I am more interested in DO granting than MD granting programs and I hope to go into either FM or psych in a rural/underserved community
I have done a lot of research / calling admissions offices in order to figure out what schools (mostly) in the Midwest I am the biggest fan of and I was hoping a person who knows more of what is going on with applications could give me an idea of how many I should want to apply to (money is not exactly flowing) and if my listed schools are reasonable for me. Below are the schools I intend to apply to (both DO and MD granting) in a general order of my interest. Please let me know if this list is a large enough number of schools or if I should be "applying more broadly". I am wondering also if it would work well enough for me to try applying to these schools first and broaden later if necessary.

-Des Moines University (I have a LOR from a physician currently lecturing/working in the clinic there and 38 hours of shadowing between FM and OMT, it is also about 5min away from my undergraduate institution) - IA
-A.T. Still University Kirksville - MO
-Midwestern University Chicago (Downers Grove) - IL
-Kansas City University College of Osteopathic Medicine - MO
-University of Wisconsin Madison – WI (in-state here, originally from about 15-20min away)
-Medical College of Wisconsin - WI
-Rosalind Franklin University - IL
-Rush University – IL
-Mayo Medical School – MN
-Philadelphia COM – PA

I appreciate any (at least semi-constructive) advice that you all can provide. If you have any questions for me I will do my best to answer them. Thanks for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm applying MD, so I don't know much about the DO schools you have listed or the process for application to DO schools. Your ECs could help you as well as if you are a MN resident, but number-wise I think you're a long-shot for Mayo and might could spend that money elsewhere. Good luck!!