Looking for Advice (Postbac Student)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlMedNY23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Have you considered DO? @Goro talks about schools that reward reinvention and it sounds like you might find success at those schools! But the fact remains your GPAs are really low for MD/DO and your current MCAT is low.

Reactions: 1 users
Have you considered DO? @Goro talks about schools that reward reinvention and it sounds like you might find success at those schools! But the fact remains your GPAs are really low for MD/DO and your current MCAT is low.

Thanks for the reply @candbgirl. Yes, I am keeping all options open, and I will be applying to DO schools at the same time. I would just like to maximize the competitiveness of my application in any case. I feel that with the second degree I will have demonstrated ability to succeed in med school, but I'm not sure if admissions committees would feel the same way. That's why I was wondering if I should apply to SMPs for further academic enhancement or if I can focus on volunteering during my gap year as that could use strengthening on my application?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think that an entire re-do for a second BA/BS degree is needed. If you have retaken all your F/D/C science courses, then your GPA for DO schools will be much higher (you should recalculate your GPAs as per AACOMAS). Ditto that for SMP.

The 26 MCAT is more of an issue. For MD schools you need to do much better (513+)

In short, for DO schools, it will be worth applying this coming cycle. For MD schools, I think retaking the MCAT, doing better and doing as you're doing now for this Spring should be OK for those MD schools that reward reinvention (at end of Dec '16, send updates to those schools that accept them).

I don't think that an entire re-do for a second BA/BS degree is needed. If you have retaken all your F/D/C science courses, then your GPA for DO schools will be much higher (you should recalculate your GPAs as per AACOMAS). Ditto that for SMP...

@Goro Thanks for the feedback. Now I have even greater motivation to study harder for this Spring MCAT!

Reactions: 1 user