Looking for advice-situation looking bleak

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

momo32

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

First post (woo), wish it was under better circumstances. Its currently March and even though I have interviewed at three school I still have no acceptances--just keep getting "we have deferred making a decision on your application at this time" emails and I'm not sure what to do. I know there is a lot of turnover near May when people start committing to schools, but I feel like to be a responsible adult I need to start looking for a backup plan on how to spend a gap year now rather than just waiting around until May. The problem is that its kind of late to apply to jobs/grad schools etc, so I don't know what I should do to be productive. Any insights or suggestions?

Side note-as far as my application goes my stats and extracurriculars are decent. Lots of research and leadership positions, only real gap I feel like I have is clinical experience/shadowing.

Members don't see this ad.

It is definitely not too late to apply to jobs - plenty of people I know are applying now. What I would do is try and get a place-holder job. Get a job in food industry/waitressing/etc. You will be much more likely to get a job (in the field you want) once you already have a job on your resume. If you want a job in a research setting, definitely start emailing PI's in the area, ask for a meeting and ask if they know anyone who would like a research assistant. Research jobs (a very large portion of them) are not posted, they are usually found via who knows who.

I would discourage you from applying to a graduate program, though some one year programs will still take you. Do you need the GPA boost? Why pay for and get a degree you don't need or necessarily want.

I would suggest looking for lab-tech type jobs at local hospitals or research facilities. They are everywhere, and can give you missing lab experience without necessarily forcing you to search for grant programs and have a specific research plan that may or may not be able to be finished in a year.

Members don't see this ad :)
First off, do what you can to maximize your chances of getting off the wait list. That means a planned campaign of update letters / letters of interest. Update the three wait list schools to let them know your newest accomplishments. (You've got some, right?)

You say lack of clinical experience / shadowing was a weakness at the time you applied. What have you done about it since then? Include that in your update letter(s). Shadowing is something you can do quickly. Clinical volunteering also, if you're willing to volunteer in a spot the other pre-meds don't want: nursing home, hospice, working with the physically or mentally disabled.

If your update letter strategy doesn't work, you'll need to fix those weaknesses for the next application cycle anyway, right?

It's always good tohave backup plans. IF, int he worst case scenario youy get rejected, you need to contact the Admissions deans at those schools to get feedback as to why, and then fix whatever deficits you have (like, say, interview skills).

Then next year, apply strategically,

Hey everyone,

First post (woo), wish it was under better circumstances. Its currently March and even though I have interviewed at three school I still have no acceptances--just keep getting "we have deferred making a decision on your application at this time" emails and I'm not sure what to do. I know there is a lot of turnover near May when people start committing to schools, but I feel like to be a responsible adult I need to start looking for a backup plan on how to spend a gap year now rather than just waiting around until May. The problem is that its kind of late to apply to jobs/grad schools etc, so I don't know what I should do to be productive. Any insights or suggestions?

Side note-as far as my application goes my stats and extracurriculars are decent. Lots of research and leadership positions, only real gap I feel like I have is clinical experience/shadowing.