Looking for advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Johnny0331

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated high school a couple years ago and joined the Marine Corps. I have very little medical or science background and with my job being a machine gunner I won't get much time to learn before I get out. I post this thread because I'm a little worried about being behind my college class as far academicly. Is there anything I could do or any advice you all have to catch up and keep up with classes?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

To be honest, as an 0331 it may be difficult to squeeze in classes towards a degree, especially at a brick and mortar institution (which is recommended). Depending on your training/deployment cycles you'd be lucky to get in a class a semester and you have to hope that you don't get sent to the field for a few weeks during class. So most likely you'll have to wait until you get out to really start working on your degree.

In the mean time, though, I would recommend checking out some of the free online classes such as Khan's academy, Coursera, or edX. If you take some of the basic science and math classes online in your free time, when you actually take the classes for a grade you'll be ahead of the curve. These online classes will let you go through at your own pace or at least let you drop it if your schedule gets crazy without suffering any penalty.

Reactions: 1 users
I appreciate the reply Doc. I'm assuming you're pretty knowledgeable about military, Esp the Corps based on your response so I'll take heed of your advice. Much appreciated.