Looking for constructive criticism regarding becoming a better medical school applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ICU nurse

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a practicing ICU nurse interested in going to medical school. The ICU where I work is a general ICU seeing anything from trauma to heart patients. I currently am completing my perquisites and should have all of them done by the end of this year. I plan on taking the MCAT in January 2015. My overall GPA so far is a 3.56 with a nursing specific 4.0. I was dean's list for my nursing course work for 5 semesters and was a member of the national honor society of nursing. I have retaken some classes on which I did less than ideal from my freshman year. The 3.56 is prior to any of my retake classes. I still have to complete my year of physics and another semester of OChem. I am always interested in constructive ideas to help make myself stand out as an applicant.
I don't have much time for volunteer work or research mainly due to the fact that I am in class 5 days a week and work mainly Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights and go back to class on Monday. So not much time for other things. I am however, actively involved at work and have assumed a leadership role having been recently elected to my unit's governance council as co-chair. The council helps make decisions regarding the overall work environment and function of the ICU. I am also a member of the evidence based practice committee which reviews research and searches for evidence supporting better patient outcomes and changes in medical and nursing practice. I am also currently planning on becoming a charge nurse and acquiring my critical care registered nurse certification. I currently have certifications in ACLS, TNCC, and am trained in SLED/CRRT, hypothermia, and soon aortic balloon pump. I am a member of professional organizations relating to critical care nursing and have spent a little time teaching nursing skills to nursing students in the town where I work.
As I previously stated any supportive information would be great. I know I need to do well on the MCAT but if there is anything else anyone can think of please share
-Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Wall of text.

Can you please give a shorter version with your gpas and MCAT score

Ace your requirement classes. I think you should work less and do some volunteering (and research, if you want to go to a research institution).

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't have time for anything else, what suggestions could people give you? I guess find people who you know will give you great recommendations and write super awesome essays. With a solid MCAT you have a good app, better than mine.

I'm just a bit confused what you are looking for if you have no extra time, a pat on the back? The only easily fixed weakness I can see if no research, but if you don't have time, don't do it.

Per your request though: I think it is good that you are looking for people to point out strengths and weaknesses, and you have plenty of strengths, but learning to use non-constructive criticism is also an important skill and I'm guessing it will become more important for all of us as we move through medical school and beyond. Your strong clinical experience is a real benefit (there's the Compliment Sandwich!), though and should help you a lot.

Thanks for your response. I'm not looking for a pat on the back but many times other individuals can point out areas that we need to work on and can provide another viewpoint that my benefit. As for research, I would like to do research, but I do not really know anyone with whom to explore that option. I try to make time for things that are important to the application process and making myself an overall better candidate. I apologize for my wordiness in the opening statement, I just wanted to paint a thorough picture regarding my situation so I could get honest, informed responses.

many times other individuals can point out areas that we need to work on and can provide another viewpoint that my benefit.
1) As for research, I would like to do research, but I do not really know anyone with whom to explore that option.
2) I try to make time for things that are important to the application process and making myself an overall better candidate.
1) As a nontrad who will have superb active patient experience, I think you'll be given a pass on research expectations, but you could sorta cover that base by involvement in a Quality Improvement Project. For example, if Staph aureus or C. dif rates are rising, is it because folks don't wash their hands properly? Design a study (or become involved in something ongoing). Have someone do some observation. Score handwashing as 0-4 based on time. Create a report after data analysis. Come to a conclusion. Act to increase handwashing among staff. Or somesuch. Now the thing of it is, the study I've described would fall under protected in-house data. You'd be forced to describe it without being very specific. But it would get the point across that you have scientific curiosity and understand the scientific method, which is mainly what's looked for.

2) I strongly suggest you find time for some community volunteering, even if only for an hour per week. Some dedicated office-based physician shadowing is advisable as well.