Looking for Hope

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kacikins

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel like I've been reading about too much "doom and gloom" in the Audiology field lately.

Please tell me there are still people out there who like what they do? Ultimately, it's a job, and very few people in this country LOVE their job at every moment. But I'd love to hear some positive stories or experiences.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi kacikins,

I will be applying for AuD programs this Fall with the hopes of getting into a good grad program. All the doom and gloom on these discussion boards has really put me in a downer mood! The fact of it is, I think there are many people who are dissatisfied with their career choice because they weren't properly educated on what they were getting themselves into. That or they aren't willing to put in the work to find the more lucrative side of the field.

Audiology is all about WHAT YOU MAKE IT. The same applies for any career choice. My plan is to earn both an AuD and PhD with the goal of becoming a researcher and professor. These are lucrative positions that allow you to have control and be creative, without the repetitiveness of doing hearing test after hearing test. I recently observed at an ENT's Audiology department and I was bored out of my mind...but that's what motivated me to do more, because I didn't want to feel stuck or get too complacent with a monotonous job. Truth is - the Audiology Aide was doing the exact same thing as the AuDs! You just have to decide if this field is right for you in the first place, and if it is, what you really want to do with it.

I'm not in grad school yet so I'm not sure of all the ins-and-outs of over educating in AuD programs or any of the other complaints. Sure the profession has a lack of respect and a smaller scope of practice, but you can be part of the next generation to change that. I have fallen in love with the variety and excitement Audiology offers, and I hope you'll stick with it if you're interested enough. Try to take all these negative thoughts with a grain of salt. Usually the people who speak up are the ones with either the best or worst experiences... Good luck! =)

I think there is hope. I am in the same position as you are about just getting ready to apply to grad schools but I feel confident in my research/shadowing experiences to think I am making an informed decision. I often wonder if the people who were unhappy actually did an extensive amount of shadowing or observing prior to applying.

Any job/career can become monotonous if you are not doing something you love or do not move on to a different setting, etc that can make you happy.

I agree with BrianaGrace about getting the AuD/PhD to open up more opportunities and a higher salary. I do not recall any of the people who were unhappy mentioning that they had a PhD.

You two are on the right track. There is always hope in any field for students willing to become the best a field has to offer. I am an audiologist and I love my job. Sure I wish I made more money, but I have never talked to a single professional that thinks they are being paid enough for what they do. It is human nature. Your career will be what you put into it. If you put your best into a good Au.D. program and/or complete an Au.D./Ph.D combo than the field has everything to offer (salary, prestige, intellectual challenge, advancement, etc.). If any student expects to go into an run of the mill Au.D. program and put in an undergraduate level of work and expect to grab one of the best jobs in the field, they are setting themselves up for disappointment. There is always room for advancement and success in any field for people willing to work for it.