Looking for Info on Neuro Psych Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phanicus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been considering different schools for clinical psych doctoral programs for a while but only within the last few months have I realized that I want to primarily focus on neuro psych assessments after school. Some of the schools that I'm looking at have neuro psych tracks/emphases but I want to make sure that I'm getting proper training to become a strong neuropsychologist and not just take some extra classes. The only problem is that I am worried that my GRE scores are not going to be great (given my previous scores) and want to find some programs that are a little less competitive, if they exist. I have a MA in Clinical Psych with a 3.9 GPA and I'm considering psyd and phd programs, fwiw.

I'm also curious about the distribution of neuro training/learning in doctoral programs. Is it common to take only a few extra classes for a neuro track or should I expect to focus strongly on neuro psych in school? I have a feeling that a majority of training/learning comes from internships but I am a little confused on the whole process.

Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Just look into getting a foundation in neuro and do research in the neuro area during grad school, don't worry about "tracks" and such. I'd be more worried about where you do internship and postdoc, that's where you get the real in-depth training in neuro.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks, Wisneuro. Any suggestions on decent, non-super competitive schools in MN? My gf is from there and we're both crazy and Minneapolis.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are only 2 accredited programs in MN for clinical psych last I was aware, U of Minnesota, which is very competitive, and Argosy, which is not competitive, but will make it very hard for you to get a decent internship/postdoc in neuro.

Yeah I doubt I'll even apply to U of M given how competitive and I'll pass on Argosy, too. Any other, general recs?

Thanks, Wisneuro. Any suggestions on decent, non-super competitive schools in MN? My gf is from there and we're both crazy and Minneapolis.

The University of Minnesota is your only real option, I believe they actually have two APA-acred. programs (different depts). Argosy has a campus (ugh) and some place called "University of St. Thomas." Evidently they are a Counseling Psy.D. program that has been APA-acred. since 2000. Their APA match rate stinks (35%-50%), so that should eliminate them. I doubt they'd have neuropsych training, so that'd be a no go anyway.

St. Thomas is a possible option, but you've really got to be a shining star and go above and beyond the program offerings. They do have a neuropsychologist on staff, and neuropsychologists on staff at the VA will teach there now and then when they want some extra cash. I still wouldn't recommend it, but it's miles better than Argosy.

University of North Dakota is only 4-5 hours away from Minneapolis. The clinical program doesn't have a neuro track but it has neuropsych-related research and practica offerings. It has lower GRE requirements than most programs as well.

University of South Dakota (5 hrs from Minneapolis) is another option but I'm not familiar with their neuropsych training.

Last edited:
You need to decide what you want: staying in your area or getting solid training in neuropsych. Those two ideas are incompatible. Even if they were not, the chances of you getting both an internship and post doc in your location are minimal. Any other advice is just going to delay you sorting this out.

I currently work with a Neuropsychologist and I've spoken with her about clinical neuropsych programs in the past. She definitely recommended that students interested in neuropsych attend clinical programs that have a neuropsych track. Mostly to be competitive for internships and fellowships. From what I've seen most neuropsych programs have students complete a handful of basic clinical courses, but otherwise are pretty heavy in neuro material and experiences. Also, all neuropsych tracks will have faculty doing research in that area, so I imagine students get a heavy dose of neuro before going on to complete internships and fellowships.

There aren't very many reputable programs that have specified neuropsychology tracks. U of Houston and U of Florida are the two that spring to mind, although I don't even know if the latter's is an actual track per se. It seems as though many of the designated tracks out there presently are more marketing ploys than anything else.

Basically, just attend a program where you'll be able to work with an advisor who is a neuropsychologist and will gain experience in neuropsychology while also attaining a solid foundation in clinical psychology as a whole; the training for both can occur concurrently, but don't eschew the latter for the former. And this coming from someone who was doing neuropsych from day 1.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for all the info. This was a really big help. I am not sure that I'll give up on Chicago though out of fear that I won't get proper training. I have talked with a few professors in the past and I feel pretty confident I'd be able to get solid neuro training experience, here. I'm still looking at schools across the country and wouldn't mind a change of scenery.

I'm sure I'll have more questions soon but y'all were a big help. Now, back to studying for the GRE and finalizing my list of schools!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, I gave y'all less information than I thought I did and I misunderstood a precious comment. I live in Chicago.

You need to decide what you want: staying in your area or getting solid training in neuropsych. Those two ideas are incompatible. Even if they were not, the chances of you getting both an internship and post doc in your location are minimal. Any other advice is just going to delay you sorting this out.

I'm not sure what "area" this comment is referring to. I'm pretty fixed on neuro. Am I missing something?

I think he assumed you meant you wanted to only look in the MN area based on your previous comment about Minneapolis. His comment was directed at people who are not willing to leave where they are to go to grad school, internship, and then postdoc. It's highly unrealistic for most, unless you choose one of the diploma mills and go the non-accredited route. Geographical flexibility is a must for many if you want solid training.

Oh I see. No I'm very comfortable with moving. I'm looking at schools all over the country. MN is just one of my top picks to live

Yeah I'm not thrilled with my school options, there. I'll just keep my eyes peeled for internship opps in MN when the time comes.

If you're an adult person, the only real game in town is the VA there as far as internship goes.

Isn't the Mayo Clinic relatively close to the Twin Cities?

I believe the University of Minnesota School of Medicine and Minnesota Children's Hospital have peds neuropsych programs, at least at the intern level.

FWIW, I know a neuropsychologist that went to Ball State's Clinical Ph.D. program (no idea on internship), and eventually ended with a post-doc at Dartmouth. Not sure about how neuro-related the program is, but it evidently worked out for him at least.

FWIW, I know a neuropsychologist that went to Ball State's Clinical Ph.D. program (no idea on internship), and eventually ended with a post-doc at Dartmouth. Not sure about how neuro-related the program is, but it evidently worked out for him at least.

They have a counseling, ed psych and school psych program, no clinical. There is a neuro track option for school/counseling psych students with connections to several different neuro practicums (hospital, private practice, etc.), as well as a small neuro clinic on campus staffed by faculty, doc students and interns.

They have a counseling, ed psych and school psych program, no clinical. There is a neuro track option for school/counseling psych students with connections to several different neuro practicums (hospital, private practice, etc.), as well as a small neuro clinic on campus staffed by faculty, doc students and interns.

Thanks for the info! It was probably in the school psych program, as I think he does pediatric work primarily.

I'll have to check out Ball State. I haven't given much thought to counseling psych programs but I'll have to do some more research since it sounds like things work out well for that other person. Thanks for the info!