Looking for input please! Sydney vs Melbourne

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CanadianHope

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in the enviable position of having to decide between the University of Sydney's 5 yr BVMC program and the 4 year DVM at Melbourne. I know many of you will say to go for the shorter program to save a year's tuition and living expenses, but I'd really like to hear thoughts from any of you out there currently studying at either of these two schools. There's no way I can visit ahead of time so any input is appreciated. I know there are threads out there on this subject, but they are old ones - (before Melbourne's DVM program).
Thanks for any help you can provide.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi :)

You might have more luck posting in the pre-veterinary section - more people in your situation (ie deciding between schools) tend to hang around there. Good luck :luck:

Thanks. Yes, I've done that. I was hoping for some feedback from a few people already in one of the schools who also had to make a choice between the two.

I'm not at either of those schools, but as a city, Melbourne is amazing to live in. The Unimelb campus at Parkville is also fantastic and only a short walk away from the hustle and bustle of the city. If you like a milder winter and more beaches near you, consider Sydney. From talking to students at other schools, I get the impression that the vet programs offered by the four big unis (Syd Mel Murdoch UQ) in Australia are all fairly similar in terms of content and quality, so you could probably base your choice on cost, lifestyle, duration. Good luck :)