Looking for material to review over the next year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Awesome Sauceome

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I wouldn't say I am pre-studying because I am aware that no matter how hard I pre-study, the material that I learn in med school will overshadow months of work in just a week or two.

However, having said that. I work a pretty boring lab tech job and have a ton of free time on my hands. Over the past year I have been plenty busy working on my app and whatnot. But now with an acceptance in hand I honestly just don't have much to do at work anymore.

I have been removed from school for a couple of years so I don't even remember the feel of burning through a textbook. So in essence I am looking for some online source or multiple sources so I can just at least shake some of the cobwebs off before I start school.

I absolutely won't be doing any sort of reading/studying of this material during the couple months before school starts, I will certainly have better things to do. But again, just to help give me something to do over the next year while I am stuck at work. You can only read so much news and stuff online before you get depressed haha. So I am just looking for something a little more constructive to do with my time.

Thanks yall.

Members don't see this ad.

It won't take long, but you might want to get familiar with anatomical directions if you haven't had anatomy before. Cranial, caudal, frontal, sagittal, anterior, posterior, deep, superficial, etc. It's a small thing that could make it that much easier once you get there.

Reactions: 2 users
Obviously getting oriented with some anatomy would be very helpful if you can retain it.

However, doing nothing/whatever the heck you want is something you will come to cherish once in the throes of med school. I played video games, worked out, read for fun, went on a couple of trips, hung out with family, and generally wasted my time. And looking back, that was the best decision.

If I were you, I would get lost in a book like LoTR or Game of Thrones to burn your time in the lab :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I would get through an immuno book if you never had it before. Also brush up on anatomy, biochem, genetics, costanzo physio if you have hours upon hours and nothing to do. I think that's what your first year will consist of mostly. I think it's smart to do some studying prior, you will be better prepared than others who did nothing...just don't get burned out because you're gonna need to hit it hard once school starts.

Reactions: 1 user
It won't take long, but you might want to get familiar with anatomical directions if you haven't had anatomy before. Cranial, caudal, frontal, sagittal, anterior, posterior, deep, superficial, etc. It's a small thing that could make it that much easier once you get there.
awesome, will do.

Yea the only anatomy I have had was gained second hand via other science classes - biochem, immunology, etc.

So probably more than any science I was hoping to freshen up on was anatomy and physiology

Obviously getting oriented with some anatomy would be very helpful if you can retain it.

However, doing nothing/whatever the heck you want is something you will come to cherish once in the throes of med school. I played video games, worked out, read for fun, went on a couple of trips, hung out with family, and generally wasted my time. And looking back, that was the best decision.

If I were you, I would get lost in a book like LoTR or Game of Thrones to burn your time in the lab :D
I mean trust me, when I am not at work I am living it up haha: fishing, hiking, Xbox, partying, living the dream haha

But my PI is a bit of an old timer shark so at the very least I need to at least appear as if I am working heh... So I would at least want to use a portion of my time refreshing and learning.

So I am looking at trying to find some online thing, besides just crawling through random pages of Wikipedia. I figure spending at least a little time learning would be better than sitting on SDN all day haha

I would get through an immuno book if you never had it before. Also brush up on anatomy, biochem, genetics, costanzo physio if you have hours upon hours and nothing to do. I think that's what your first year will consist of mostly. I think it's smart to do some studying prior, you will be better prepared than others who did nothing...just don't get burned out because you're gonna need to hit it hard once school starts.
awesome thanks. I have absolutely no intention of like going hardcore with the studying. But especially anatomy and phys I am lacking on. Someone said look at some innverations and blood supply stuff? What would be a good resource for that?

My biochem and immuno is actually fair enough I guess. I took a few grad courses in those. I figure I would be suffering just about as anyone else on those subjects, which I guess is an average level of confidence haha?

I spent my gap year in a lab so I can relate. You can't really be seen reading novels for pleasure or doing other enjoyable things while experiments run, so a little productive reading isn't bad.

The only two things I'd recommend are Constanzo Physio and watching some anatomy vids on YouTube or something. Learn the muscles and bones, don't get caught up in blood supply and innervations. I'm sure there are some good, free sources on online or via apps.

I would just pick up an atlas. I like Thieme or netters. I think both are pretty good but in different ways. Oh good, so you're all set for those.

awesome thanks. I have absolutely no intention of like going hardcore with the studying. But especially anatomy and phys I am lacking on. Someone said look at some innverations and blood supply stuff? What would be a good resource for that?

My biochem and immuno is actually fair enough I guess. I took a few grad courses in those. I figure I would be suffering just about as anyone else on those subjects, which I guess is an average level of confidence haha?
Do not memorize innervations and blood supply before school. Those are the details that will make you go insane before you even start. Leaf though a used atlas (if you join SOMA you'll get a new one) and don't really pay attention to the names of things, just get a general idea of where basic structures are.

I mean trust me, when I am not at work I am living it up haha: fishing, hiking, Xbox, partying, living the dream haha

But my PI is a bit of an old timer shark so at the very least I need to at least appear as if I am working heh... So I would at least want to use a portion of my time refreshing and learning.

So I am looking at trying to find some online thing, besides just crawling through random pages of Wikipedia. I figure spending at least a little time learning would be better than sitting on SDN all day haha

Ahhh yes. I understand.

Interestingly enough, since Gray's anatomy is an open source text, Wikipedia is basically an easily searchable Gray's textbook. If you could maybe get in touch with a second year who has the powerpoints, you could do some guided study that would be beneficial.

OR

You could also start reading through first-aid and use that to guide your study on the net.

Of course, you could always look at the MS1 book list, buy one, and start reading through it.

Well I was in your shoes not too long ago. My eager premed self bought Moore's Clinically Oriented Anatomy off ebay a few months before school started and when I got it I opened it up and thought to myself, "I'm going to learn everything about the thorax!"

Here I am now, first year in medical school, with my anatomy exam on the thorax tomorrow. I have retained approximately 1% of what I studied over the summer. The most helpful things that I did retain were the anatomical positions (as someone else mentioned), definitely worth your time to get familiar with this, and also the great vessels, I took some time to learn the great arteries/veins and a lot of that stuck with me as well. However DO NOT study innervation or blood supply to various muscles, that is far too detailed and you will forget it quickly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't do anything. Like really, just don't. Not even the anatomical positions. My fondest memories now are of a time when I was able to do nothing.

I had the same issue in my gap year. You don't HAVE to do any prep, but I understand being anxious to get started.

Since you haven't had anatomy yet, you'd do better to have an actual text, rather than an atlas, so that you can get some narrative. I used Moore's clinically oriented anatomy in my gap year, and would generally recommend it. It's a very common book for med schools to make you use in first year anyway.

For phys, guyton and hall is pretty good. Sample: http://www.slideshare.net/ElsevierI...ogy-by-hall-to-order-call-sms-at-918527622422

I personally would avoid board prep books for gap year studying. They summarize very well, but the way they present material assumes that you've already had an education in their given subjects, so a lot of it might not make sense. YMMV.

Whatever you do study, avoid studying in great detail because it's very easy to spend a lot of time on things that are not heavily covered in med school (if they are covered at all). Especially in physiology. Anatomy is safer to study, because less of it is completely unnecessary, but it still has more detail than you need. But I agree with everyone saying you should try to be generous in doing fun stuff with your gap year. Waste not, want not.

As someone mentioned before, make sure you are comfortable with anatomical directions (superior, inferior, distal, proximal ext.) I also would start playing around with the Essentials of Anatomy app (I found that very useful for the first couple of exams on limbs)

If you plan on using your laptop/computer to take notes also play around with OneNote/Evernote to see which (if either) you like more and start thinking about ways to organize your notes.

Don't do anything. Like really, just don't. Not even the anatomical positions. My fondest memories now are of a time when I was able to do nothing.
So I should sit at work and just twirl my thumbs and read all of the depressing crap on CNN and neurotic crap on SDN all day - and that will make me more refreshed for school? Did you read my OP or any of the responses? When I say I literally have nothing else to do at work. I mean I have NOTHING else to do. I have asked for more work, but we are a small, slow lab. I have a couple of projects that I work on, but some days when I have like 8 hour incubations and stuff for an experiment, I am seriously just sitting on the computer doing next to nothing. Its not like I can bust out a video game (though I have tried haha). My partner at work just watches football and baseball games and stuff, but honestly I am only an average sports fan, so that doesnt do it for me.

I figure if I have at least a couple hours every day where I am stuck to the desk anyways, I might as well use it for something mildly productive, not necessarily to actually "pre-study." I am more interested in genuinely just learning some stuff that I have never learned before, but at a modest pace that my work allows for.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.

So yea I found a 2012 netters atlas that I bought I guess that I planned on using to help study for the MCAT haha? I never ended up using it, and even now that I look at it, there is no way I would be able to discern what is important vs glossed over in med school.... There is sort of no narrative to it? So I am going to just put that away haha. I will definitely check out some of the other resources y'all are suggesting. Thanks a bunch. Any other online sources would be appreciated, keep throwing them at me.

On a side note I told myself that I would learn spanish during this year, but honestly I just dont have the motivation or interest for that haha... Even on a normal work day my interests naturally do seem to gravitate in the direction of health and science articles and whatnot, so I genuinely do just like learning about really anything pertaining to those general fields.

Last edited:
So I should sit at work and just twirl my thumbs and read all of the depressing crap on CNN and neurotic crap on SDN all day - and that will make me more refreshed for school? Did you read my OP or any of the responses? When I say I literally have nothing else to do at work. I mean I have NOTHING else to do. I have asked for more work, but we are a small, slow lab. I have a couple of projects that I work on, but some days when I have like 8 hour incubations and stuff for an experiment, I am seriously just sitting on the computer doing next to nothing. Its not like I can bust out a video game (though I have tried haha). My partner at work just watches football and baseball games and stuff, but honestly I am only an average sports fan, so that doesnt do it for me.

I figure if I have at least a couple hours every day where I am stuck to the desk anyways, I might as well use it for something mildly productive, not necessarily to actually "pre-study." I am more interested in genuinely just learning some stuff that I have never learned before, but at a modest pace that my work allows for.
What you describe is the equivalent of heaven for me right now and look forward to having a time like that someday in the future.

Agree, the volume is so intense that the small details you could learn now will quickly stick anyway because you will use them to retain all the other details. DO NOT STUDY

Thanks everyone.

So yea I found a 2012 netters atlas that I bought I guess that I planned on using to help study for the MCAT haha? I never ended up using it, and even now that I look at it, there is no way I would be able to discern what is important vs glossed over in med school.... There is sort of no narrative to it? So I am going to just put that away haha. I will definitely check out some of the other resources y'all are suggesting. Thanks a bunch. Any other online sources would be appreciated, keep throwing them at me.

On a side note I told myself that I would learn spanish during this year, but honestly I just dont have the motivation or interest for that haha... Even on a normal work day my interests naturally do seem to gravitate in the direction of health and science articles and whatnot, so I genuinely do just like learning about really anything pertaining to those general fields.

Just so you know, there isn't much "glossed over."

I would suggest staying off this website because the picture painted on here is rarely an accurate representation of reality.

Watch football and baseball games. I wish I had time to spend all day sunday watching football.

If your heart is set on it,

Sure go over an anatomy atlas like netters or Grays (I like grays)
Also the BRS books are pretty nice to have to study - BRS physiology, biochem. You'd be glad to have them once med schools starts anyway.

Learn a language or read some novels. Doing nothing or studying are not your only choices, and both would be a waste of your time.

So I ended up finding a PDF version of Moore's clinical anatomy. I think that will fit the bill. I looked at Costanzo's and it definitely seems like it is more summarizing, thus for someone who is already currently in school or is studying for boards or something. I think Moore's will give me some useful information to buzz through over the next 9 months or so that I have left of work before I move to KC.

what is all this nonsense i am reading in here? you should do absolutely nothing the year leading up to medical school. there is honestly nothing that will help you. you have absolutely no idea how to study for medical school yet. accept that fact.

here is my life example: i thought i'd be a hot-shot ortho gunner the year leading up to medical school. memorized all the bones of the body--hand, foot, and all. took me a couple of weeks. denied going to bars with my bros so i could have a fresh mind for studying the following day and all that nonsense. very regretful for it.

once medical school starts and you realize that there will never be a "name that bone" question on your anatomy exam as that would be way too ridiculously easy, you will understand how useless all that unnecessary studying truly was. you will not only be expected to know every bone of the body, but every single crest, bump, and hole of every bone. sustentaculum tali, bitches.

read House of God or any auto-biography written by a physician in a field you are interested in. get fired up. medical school is awesome.

Reactions: 4 users
Just read. Anything, except for academics. Teach yourself to have stamina and pick up on details. But do it reading something you like. You won't do anything extensively fun for 7 years minimum once you start med school. This is the time to mentally release yourself for that. Spend time with friends and family. That'll help you get through the tough times

what is all this nonsense i am reading in here? you should do absolutely nothing the year leading up to medical school. there is honestly nothing that will help you. you have absolutely no idea how to study for medical school yet. accept that fact.

here is my life example: i thought i'd be a hot-shot ortho gunner the year leading up to medical school. memorized all the bones of the body--hand, foot, and all. took me a couple of weeks. denied going to bars with my bros so i could have a fresh mind for studying the following day and all that nonsense. very regretful for it.

once medical school starts and you realize that there will never be a "name that bone" question on your anatomy exam as that would be way too ridiculously easy, you will understand how useless all that unnecessary studying truly was. you will not only be expected to know every bone of the body, but every single crest, bump, and hole of every bone. sustentaculum tali, bitches.

read House of God or any auto-biography written by a physician in a field you are interested in. get fired up. medical school is awesome.
Actually been trying to get my hands on House of God for a week now.

Well I tell you what, I would be happy to read anything at all that anyone is able to get in PDF format so I can read it at work.

THAT is the kicker... it HAS to be on the computer, otherwise my boss will chew me out.

I looked at Costanzo's and it definitely seems like it is more summarizing, thus for someone who is already currently in school or is studying for boards or something.

When people refer to Constanzo they mean the full physiology textbook and not the BRS Physio review book by the same author. The actual textbook is a full volume covering physio at the med school level.

When people refer to Constanzo they mean the full physiology textbook and not the BRS Physio review book by the same author. The actual textbook is a full volume covering physio at the med school level.
Ahh gotcha... well maybe I will try and find it, otherwise I will just wait until school starts.

Ahh gotcha... well maybe I will try and find it, otherwise I will just wait until school starts.

Yeah no rush now. I highly recommend it to accompany physio 1st year. A strong physio foundation is tremendous help moving forward.

So I wouldn't say I am pre-studying because I am aware that no matter how hard I pre-study, the material that I learn in med school will overshadow months of work in just a week or two.

However, having said that. I work a pretty boring lab tech job and have a ton of free time on my hands. Over the past year I have been plenty busy working on my app and whatnot. But now with an acceptance in hand I honestly just don't have much to do at work anymore.

I have been removed from school for a couple of years so I don't even remember the feel of burning through a textbook. So in essence I am looking for some online source or multiple sources so I can just at least shake some of the cobwebs off before I start school.

I absolutely won't be doing any sort of reading/studying of this material during the couple months before school starts, I will certainly have better things to do. But again, just to help give me something to do over the next year while I am stuck at work. You can only read so much news and stuff online before you get depressed haha. So I am just looking for something a little more constructive to do with my time.

Thanks yall.

Have you used Figure 1? I've found that a really great resource to start seeing and learning about different clinical cases. It's completely free and I enjoy looking through the cases using their app in my spare time. Everything posted here is completely HIPAA compliant. I recommend checking it out! Here's a link:

http://download.figure1.com/fall2014?m=327

I work a pretty boring lab tech job and have a ton of free time on my hands.

For the love of god, enjoy your free time. Next august it will be gone, at least until you get your bearings. It took me 2 months, and from the sounds of it I'm much better off than most of my classmates. Time is a more precious commodity than money, so please relax and enjoy the fact that you're in.

I didn't live it up and I dearly regret it. I was bored, if I could go back after experiencing the black hole that I'm shoulder deep in now, I would do it so differently.

For the love of god, enjoy your free time. Next august it will be gone, at least until you get your bearings. It took me 2 months, and from the sounds of it I'm much better off than most of my classmates. Time is a more precious commodity than money, so please relax and enjoy the fact that you're in.

I didn't live it up and I dearly regret it. I was bored, if I could go back after experiencing the black hole that I'm shoulder deep in now, I would do it so differently.
what would you do if you were in my shoes? I have been at the job for about a year and a half. I feel like i have exhausted the entire internet haha

what would you do if you were in my shoes? I have been at the job for about a year and a half. I feel like i have exhausted the entire internet haha

I would sleep in every chance I could. Read a bunch of books for fun. Exhaust my xbox collection. Travel. Learn a new language. Get in better shape. Learn to cook. Volunteer at a hospital or local charity group. Take on 5 new hobbies. Fish every morning, and drink (almost) every night. Spend any possible moment with family or friends. Make new friends. I'd live completely carefree. So many thoughts come to mind when you can do none of them.

I'm going to be honest with you man, this stage of life is tough. You do the same thing every day, all day. It wears you down. I really am in awe of the people that are here for the wrong reasons, they must be absolutely brilliant. I can't imagine doing anything else, and I've never loved something I hated so much. I saw my first patient yesterday, and it put it all back into perspective for me.

I would sleep in every chance I could. Read a bunch of books for fun. Exhaust my xbox collection. Travel. Learn a new language. Get in better shape. Learn to cook. Volunteer at a hospital or local charity group. Take on 5 new hobbies. Fish every morning, and drink (almost) every night. Spend any possible moment with family or friends. Make new friends. I'd live completely carefree. So many thoughts come to mind when you can do none of them.

I'm going to be honest with you man, this stage of life is tough. You do the same thing every day, all day. It wears you down. I really am in awe of the people that are here for the wrong reasons, they must be absolutely brilliant. I can't imagine doing anything else, and I've never loved something I hated so much. I saw my first patient yesterday, and it put it all back into perspective for me.
ok so I am going to blame everyone's sucky answers for the fact that yall are stressed med students and simply don't have the time to read the rest of the thread, if not even my original post.

I DO ALL OF THOSE THINGS CURRENTLY. Seriously... When I am out of work I 100% do all of those things and more. I am living the life and I am abusing my free time. I am probably too lazy I would even argue haha.

The reason for this entire thread is simply to figure out something to do SPECIFICALLY while I am sitting at my desk for 40-50 hours a week. I obviously cannot do any of that at work. I don't need anyone telling me how to have fun or what to do for the next year while I'm home. What I need is advice on crap to read while I am at work and have a ridiculous amount of free time yet cannot do anything fun since I have a boss that drops in all the time

I am sorry for getting sassy... I have just said it like 5 times that this is for while I'm at work haha... But I should be more patient, I figure yall don't have time to be reading through all the crap on here

Have you used Figure 1? I've found that a really great resource to start seeing and learning about different clinical cases. It's completely free and I enjoy looking through the cases using their app in my spare time. Everything posted here is completely HIPAA compliant. I recommend checking it out! Here's a link:

http://download.figure1.com/fall2014?m=327

This app is so awesome, I've been browsing through it and I love that physicians try to diagnose it on the comments page!

I am sorry for getting sassy... I have just said it like 5 times that this is for while I'm at work haha... But I should be more patient, I figure yall don't have time to be reading through all the crap on here

Why are you ignoring the multiple suggestions you've gotten to read non med school material at work?

Why are you ignoring the multiple suggestions you've gotten to read non med school material at work?
I certainly will, so long as I can find PDF versions I am good to go.

It is all of the other stuff... I cant see myself having an easy time traveling, fishing, hanging out with family, etc while at work ;)

But its all good... I really do appreciate everyone's suggestions both for here and at work. Its going to be a good year.

ok so I am going to blame everyone's sucky answers for the fact that yall are stressed med students and simply don't have the time to read the rest of the thread, if not even my original post.

I DO ALL OF THOSE THINGS CURRENTLY. Seriously... When I am out of work I 100% do all of those things and more. I am living the life and I am abusing my free time. I am probably too lazy I would even argue haha.

The reason for this entire thread is simply to figure out something to do SPECIFICALLY while I am sitting at my desk for 40-50 hours a week. I obviously cannot do any of that at work. I don't need anyone telling me how to have fun or what to do for the next year while I'm home. What I need is advice on crap to read while I am at work and have a ridiculous amount of free time yet cannot do anything fun since I have a boss that drops in all the time

You're getting ignored because it's not a great question. Nothing you can do between time points at work will help that much with MS-1 (I will recommend chapter 1 of Gray's Anatomy to get oriented, I wish I would have done that).

Read fun ebooks. Read reddit. Read the news and figure out what the h*** is going on in Syria and Ukraine. Read books like "House of God" and "Short White Coat." Beat your friends at Words With Friends. Take it easy while you can.

This question gets asked every year and we always give out the same answers, but it nearly always gets ignored. Im going to start telling people to read Cecils.

Reactions: 4 users
I would not recommend reading sciences, so you don't get tired of those, BUT a different language as Spanish sounds like a really smart idea! try to motivate yourself to learn it, it will come handy one day!

Have you tried Project Gutenberg? http://www.gutenberg.org/

I found several incredible books there: The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, The Memoirs of Jacques Casanova de Seingalt (this is particularly interesting because it is one of the only personal accounts of life in 18th century Europe, containing details on the public torture of Robert-François Damiens, courtship and life as a gambler, imprisonment and escape from prison - twice!, meeting Mozart, etc), The Art of War, etc. Surely the internet is not fully exausted yet!

Wanna take my classes for me?! Medical micro, cell neuro, recombinant DNA lab, reproduction an development :( what a sad last quarter of school.

Wanna take my classes for me?! Medical micro, cell neuro, recombinant DNA lab, reproduction an development :( what a sad last quarter of school.
Pay attention in that development class and you'll be way ahead of 90% of your classmates when you have it in med school.

Reactions: 2 users