Looking for MD/DO shadowing experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newtoPA

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently located in New York. Please PM me.

Members don't see this ad.

Posting on here is not going to do you any good. You need to pick up the phone book or visit some physician offices in-person. Be prepared for a ton of rejections due to "time constraints" and HIPAA concerns.

Members don't see this ad :)
Be prepared for a ton of rejections due to "time constraints" and HIPAA concerns.

Good point. Some offices refuse you due to HIPAA concerns. How do you get around that? Is it a legit issue, and if it is then how do other offices permit shadowing?

Good point. Some offices refuse you due to HIPAA concerns. How do you get around that? Is it a legit issue, and if it is then how do other offices permit shadowing?

A think a lot of physicians just don't want to take on any additional liability that may arise from having a shadow. I'm certainly no legal expert, but I believe the main concern is patient confidentiality.

The doctor I've shadowed for a long time simply tells the patient why I'm there and asks them if they would mind me sitting in. Some do, but most don't.

It just boils down to finding a doctor who remembers being in your shoes and is willing to lend a hand.

If you go through HIPAA training and have a badge that will open a lot of doors.

Reactions: 1 user