PhD/PsyD Looking for Some Info on These Clinical Psych PhD Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phanicus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the final stages of whittling down my list of schools to apply to this fall and I am looking for some information on these schools. Anyone with personal experience or some solid info is greatly appreciated. I have funding info, acceptance rates, APA internship placement rates, etc. already. I am interested in neuropsych training and research so info regarding neuropsych options would be helpful, as well.

1) George Mason University
2) University of Louisville
3) Marquette University
4) University of Minnesota
5) Rutgers (PsyD and PhD)
6) Temple University
7) University of WI - Milwaukee
8) University of Memphis
9) University of Miami
10) VA Commonwealth
11) Syracuse University

Also, I am looking for information that helps me decide to apply to these programs just as much as I'm looking for info to help me weed some out, so pros and cons are welcome.

Thank you all for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No one? I'm looking for some basic information on these programs like whether or not you like the curriculum and faculty, has the program met your expectations, strengths and weaknesses of the program that you've come across, and anything else you may find helpful.

Thanks everyone

I'd say that you should look to see if these are APA-accredited programs and also find out the internship match rates and outcomes of all of these programs. I do know that Rutgers has a very solid Clinical Psy.D and Ph.D (I think the Ph.D focuses more on research and academia than practice but I'm not 100% sure). Also the PsyD programs at Rutgers is one of the best and has some funding

Members don't see this ad :)
You can also contact the graduate student coordinators and ask to be connected to current students and recent grads. I've done this and was surprised to find that despite their busy schedules current/former students were happy to answer questions.

Reactions: 1 user
Mississippi State is not on your list, but I thought I would answer for us in case you are looking to expand your list at all. We do not have a neuropsychologist on faculty, but Dr. Michael Nadorff is a geropsychologist who has a good amount of neuropsychological training. He is comfortable supervising neuropsych research if it fits with the rest of his program of research. We also have a practicum site established with a neuropsychologist in Tupelo, MS.

You may also want to consider University of Houston, I believe they have a neuropsych specialization available. University of South Alabama may also be a nice fit.

Thank for all the info and that's a great idea, Spydra. I'm definitely going to jump on that.

I like UW-Milwaukee a lot so that's good news and thanks for offering those other schools. I'll give them a look and consider applying.

1) George Mason University - very cognitive behavioral (a little too behavioral for me, but if that's your interest, check it out), I hear a strong program.
3) Marquette University
5) Rutgers (PsyD and PhD) - excellent program, both of tracks. Excellent professors. Highly regarded in NYC. Nancy McWilliams is an incredible orator, professor, and writer and on Faculty at Rutgers.
6) Temple University
8) University of Memphis
9) University of Miami
10) VA Commonwealth - Also very cognitive behavioral. I believe very strong, competitive program in a nice smallish Southern city. Several years ago VCU combined with Medical College of Virginia, so I don't know how that would impact your opportunities for research and clinical exposure, but the Psychology Dept is solid.
11) Syracuse University

All I know...can't offer much more other than above. All three mentioned have great reputations on the East Coast, hence will help future clinical placements.

Cheetahgirl, thanks so much! Those three schools are at the top of my list so this was very helpful.

Reactions: 1 user
If you're interested in neuro, Temple and Syracuse both have faculty with clinical experience/conducting research in the area and relevant practicums available. I really liked the faculty at Temple, but there was some weird stuff going on with their funding (that may have since been resolved). Syracuse was a little too research focused for my liking, though I was interviewing for School Psych, their Clinical program may be more balanced.

If you're interested in neuro, Temple and Syracuse both have faculty with clinical experience/conducting research in the area and relevant practicums available. I really liked the faculty at Temple, but there was some weird stuff going on with their funding (that may have since been resolved). Syracuse was a little too research focused for my liking, though I was interviewing for School Psych, their Clinical program may be more balanced.

Thanks for the info. I think you're right about Syracuse and I'm going to have to check on Temple's funding. I am really excited about Temple so I hope it's nothing too bad. I appreciate the heads up though

VCU also has a prominent member of Div 32, the humanistic society (Richard Bargdill). So there's even a tiny bit of diversity scattered in :)

Thanks for the info. I think you're right about Syracuse and I'm going to have to check on Temple's funding. I am really excited about Temple so I hope it's nothing too bad. I appreciate the heads up though

Just to offer another opinion, I interviewed at Syracuse and they seemed pretty balanced. Maybe slightly more research focused than clinically focused, but still definitely a scientist-practitioner program.

I am in the final stages of whittling down my list of schools to apply to this fall and I am looking for some information on these schools. Anyone with personal experience or some solid info is greatly appreciated. I have funding info, acceptance rates, APA internship placement rates, etc. already. I am interested in neuropsych training and research so info regarding neuropsych options would be helpful, as well.

1) George Mason University
3) Marquette University
5) Rutgers (PsyD and PhD)
6) Temple University
8) University of Memphis
9) University of Miami
10) VA Commonwealth
11) Syracuse University

Also, I am looking for information that helps me decide to apply to these programs just as much as I'm looking for info to help me weed some out, so pros and cons are welcome.

Thank you all for the help!

I've heard good things about UW Milwaukee and Marquette in terms of neuro training both in the department and community. I've also known grads from Memphis that really enjoyed the program there, granted neither were neuropsych focused.

All of this information is super helpful! I am really close to making a final decision but it seems that Rutgers PsyD is out due to lack of solid funding. I was under the impression that it was fully funded for every year but apparently that's not the case. I'm still really excited about all of my other options, though.

Thanks again everyone