Looking for some suggestions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Johnny Appleseed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I am just looking for some suggestions, I want to apply to med school in a couple years and I am trying to make sure I have a well rounded, interesting application. If you have any suggestions for things I should add or work on or not mention, that would be awesome! Thanks in advance!

I am a psychology major, I'm passionate about it and I love psychology. I recently graduated from a community college and am now attending a four year institution. I work as a CNA, and I volunteer at a local hospital. I also played on the soccer team at my community college and was on the all region team and a team captain. I volunteer coaching a local highschool soccer team as well. I compete in marathons and I play the piano (not sure if I should mention that). I am hoping to have a 3.5 GPA when I apply. I have not taken the MCAT, I still have some pre-reqs to knock out, but ignoring the MCAT for now what am I lacking?

P.S. I have not done any research, I don't know if psychology research will meet the research requirements for med school. If anybody knows and could let me know, that would be spectacular! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey All,

I am just looking for some suggestions, I want to apply to med school in a couple years and I am trying to make sure I have a well rounded, interesting application. If you have any suggestions for things I should add or work on or not mention, that would be awesome! Thanks in advance!

I am a psychology major, I'm passionate about it and I love psychology. I recently graduated from a community college and am now attending a four year institution. I work as a CNA, and I volunteer at a local hospital. I also played on the soccer team at my community college and was on the all region team and a team captain. I volunteer coaching a local highschool soccer team as well. I compete in marathons and I play the piano (not sure if I should mention that). I am hoping to have a 3.5 GPA when I apply. I have not taken the MCAT, I still have some pre-reqs to knock out, but ignoring the MCAT for now what am I lacking?

P.S. I have not done any research, I don't know if psychology research will meet the research requirements for med school. If anybody knows and could let me know, that would be spectacular! Thanks!
You have some great things going on for you. Right now I would focus on acing all your classes and preparing for the MCAT. Then, the only thing I didn't see mentioned (but you will need) is shadowing and seeking for letters of recommendation.

I don't know anything about your research question. Others who do can chime in?

Reactions: 1 user
You have some great things going on for you. Right now I would focus on acing all your classes and preparing for the MCAT. Then, the only thing I didn't see mentioned (but you will need) is shadowing and seeking for letters of recommendation.

I don't know anything about your research question. Others who do can chime in?

Thanks! I have not done any shadowing, thanks for that input. I will write that down and get it in the works. What is the best way to do that? I don't personally know many doctors where I am currently living. Would emailing random doctors be okay? Or is that frowned upon?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I have not done any shadowing, thanks for that input. I will write that down and get it in the works. What is the best way to do that? I don't personally know many doctors where I am currently living. Would emailing random doctors be okay? Or is that frowned upon?
I found it was best to walk in to a family clinic etc and explain to the secretary what you want to do. They are less stringent about security and are easier to get your foot in the door.

Also, you volunteer at a hospital, correct? If so, speak with any of the physicians there and ask them if they would mind if you shadow them in preparation for med school. Usually those two approaches work best.

Yes, I volunteer in the Emergency Department, I see the physicians there quite often. Thanks for the advice!
You're welcome! Like I said, you have a good app so far. Your priority should be to do well in your classes, then study for the MCAT and shadow (probably during your vacation time). Good luck :)

Hey All,

You may want to consider neuroscience research if you do decide you want to do research

Great advice. I am going to minor in neuroscience so I will look for research opportunities there. That will be the kind of research med schools are looking for right? It doesn't have to be medical specific research?

Great advice. I am going to minor in neuroscience so I will look for research opportunities there. That will be the kind of research med schools are looking for right? It doesn't have to be medical specific research?
That's correct. Do research that you find interesting, and be able to show that you know what the research is about. What's the hypothesis? How does the experiment test that hypothesis? You can do hypothesis-driven psychology research too, for what it's worth.

So yes, as others have said, research and some shadowing would be good.

Re: shadowing - you can try cold-calling/emailing/walking in. I'd also recommend asking literally everyone you know if they possibly know a doctor who'd let you shadow - it can be easier to get your foot in the door that way. Asking ER physicians you see when volunteering (as long as you make sure it's at an acceptable time/in an appropriate manner) would be great, too.

Sounds like you're pretty solid otherwise. MCAT is a big deal, but everything else is on track.