Looking for this type of program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IBEmery

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been searching high and low for a distance program at the EdS, EdD or PhD level. I am guessing that finding an integrated and distance AND properly accredited program is nigh impossible; however, I am asking around for any leads to a program that would best fit my needs/desires.

I am currently an English teacher with an MAT. I wish to transition into School Psychology (this decision is four years in the making), but I want to keep my career options open to Child Clinical Psychology as well seeing as how I live in Memphis which houses St. Jude and Le Bonheur (where my wife is a nurse)...but the kicker is that I am a husband, a father, and a homeowner with real bills to pay. Switching to only one income is impossible. I have to go distance or online, but I'm mostly finding those "adult non-trad online universities," and I cannot find something from a legitimate college.

Does anyone here have any advice?

Thank you for your time and consideration…

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure if I know anything out there that's online and will allow you practice outside of CalSouthern University's PsyD program. However it is not APA accredited which means it can only help for a handful of states (I don't know if Memphis requires an APA program). There are a handful of online MSW's out there though which I believe would qualify you to work in a school setting doing counseling or switch over to counseling children.

Note: I don't think you'll find a program that is 100% online without any internships/practicum required.

Good Luck.

Sometimes life circumstances limit our ability to pursue certain endeavors.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I mean, I could probably take that time to complete the internship; it's the course work load that I couldn't leave work to complete. Courses online; localized internships, perhaps?

You're very unlikely to get an internship in the same city as your grad program. Most people have to relocate.

Reactions: 1 user
I mean, I could probably take that time to complete the internship; it's the course work load that I couldn't leave work to complete. Courses online; localized internships, perhaps?
I don't know about school psych, but I can't think of a single program in clinical that meets these requirements. I'm with erg, some avenues are closed depending on certain life circumstances and inflexibility in choices.

I can only think of one accredited distance school (Fielding) but I'm not sure if they have a school psych program. Regardless, they aren't even remotely respected in the field, so it would likely pose significant hurdles for getting hired.

Would a master's allow you to reach your goals? Maybe counseling?

I would be very surprised if there weren't some appropriate pathway to school psych at the local university, can that really be so? Teacher --> school psych is such a well-worn path almost everywhere - some places, teaching experience is a requirement. Where I am anyway (which is not where you are, obviously, sorry), there are legit programs offered in alternative delivery formats (block / weekend / evening) suited to working teachers... Which activities, actually, are you interested in (assessment or counselling)? Is the interest in clinical an active interest, or is it more about hedging your bets? There must be a way for you to do one of these (school psych/assessment, or counselling / social work), but maybe not both, right away at least.

Last edited:
Have you looked for EdS school psychology programs in Tennessee? Normally the programs are set up with evening classes to accommodate the working professional. Normally school psych programs are under the State Department of Education. I would go online to the Tennessee School Psychologist Association and the Tennessee Department of Education websites. Regarding the online masters and doctoral psychology programs; there are many programs and admissions is fairly easy with high tuition. I've heard of individuals finishing up these online program, but then have problems with internship and licensure. Maybe not as much of a concern for school psychology as in clinical or counseling psychology. Sometimes they have to repeat courses or internship to gain licensure in a re-specialization program.

The two Hospitals that you list as potential employers could be helpful if you call the Director of Psychology to get their input. I believe St. Jude and the other hospital listed are highly respected and normally this means they have a large pool of applicants to chose from during recruitment for openings. Regarding wanting to work in Child Clinical Psychology eventually, it may be difficult to obtain such doctoral positions with the school psychology doctoral degree as these positions are typically very competitive positions in the marketplace. Clearly, there tends to be a preference for students specifically with PhD in Child Clinical Psychology programs that are APA accredited with an APA accredited predoctoral internship and two-year postdoctoral fellowship in Child Clinical Psychology over professionals that are not from similar programs. Most likely an online program would not allow you consideration for a Child Clinical Psychology position as typically these programs are not APA accredited. I know one program at Alliant has a PsyD in school psychology that is set up for professional school psychologist who are already certified in their State as School Psychologist. Most school psychology programs are accredited through NASP rather than APA. I believe Fielding does not have a school psychology program.

School Psychology and Child Clinical Psychology are not equivalent programs and normally have different curriculums, practicum, and overall focus. Not so much a turf issue but School Psychology programs are for School positions and Child Clinical Psychology are for Hospital or other types of community based positions. They have different licensure/certification paths. School Psychology would be the easiest route for a working professional with family obligations similar to yourself. Child Clinical Psychology doctoral is easily a seven to eight year process before being fully licensed whereas some School Psychology doctoral programs are more of a three to four-year process.

You might get good information by talking with the school psychologists in your school district. Also, this is not only a goal you have but when you are married with family, you need to consider your family needs. Because of the demands of a doctoral program you may not be able to adequately be there for your family during critical times of the doctoral curriculum. Most of us who have successfully completed the doctoral degree understand that the process is very demanding and many times our family life suffers, and a number of us end up getting divorced during the process or after completion of the degree. A doctoral degree in clinical or counseling psychology is a major life commitment and requires serious thought and dedication before entertaining such life options.

Last edited:
The University of Memphis has an MA/EdS NASP approved School Psychology program and they have a PhD School Psychology program that is having their site visit for APA accreditation in March of 2014. These are different tracks with different admissions criteria. My guess is the MA/EdS track would be a viable option for you as normally these programs do not require research or teaching assistantships whereas the PhD track probably requires a Thesis and Dissertation and teaching requirements. I believe this is one of the most highly reputable School Psychology program as their chairperson has been president of NASP and he is the NASP historian.

Last edited:

time for research, dissertation, readings, practica? You want two 40-50 hour per week jobs for 6 years?

Yes, its full-time job plus some. This is why most phd programs forbid working outside the program durin grad school.

Last edited:

So... you want to treat patients without learning about how to treat patients?

Do you realize why people on the board seem insulted by your question?

So... you want to treat patients without learning about how to treat patients?

Do you realize why people on the board seem insulted by your question?

Come on. He said he is probably willing to do the internship. :)

To reiterate my first post: If I were you I would look into some online MSW programs, i.e Rutgers, Catholic University etc. and see how their internships work as there might just be a way to do them locally.

Have you looked for EdS school psychology programs in Tennessee? Normally the programs are set up with evening classes to accommodate the working professional. Normally school psych programs are under the State Department of Education. I would go online to the Tennessee School Psychologist Association and the Tennessee Department of Education websites. Regarding the online masters and doctoral psychology programs; there are many programs and admissions is fairly easy with high tuition. I've heard of individuals finishing up these online program, but then have problems with internship and licensure. Maybe not as much of a concern for school psychology as in clinical or counseling psychology. Sometimes they have to repeat courses or internship to gain licensure in a re-specialization program.

The University of Memphis' MA/EdS program is offered evenings and summers: http://www.nasponline.org/certification/eveningweekend.aspx

Boston university has an online MSW program. Costs $$$ but from what I can tell it seems to be respected; a friend of mine enrolled in the program said that they work to help find local practicum for their students.

From reviewing information from NASP and the University of Memphis, it looks like the perfect program for you. They have evening/summer schedule. All of their students receive tuition waiver of $12,000 per year and paid stipend of $11,000 per year. All of their students are 100% funded. They have a practicum agreement with the two hospitals and UT Medical school where you would like to work.

You may need to take some psychology prerequisite courses but some programs allow you to study and test out of these courses.

I am curious...why are you even considering online program? Why haven't you considered local Universities in your home community?

University of Memphis has one of the best school psych program but you don't seem to know about the program.

Their application deadline is June 15 for the Fall semester. Since there is a shortage of School Psychologist nationally and they almost accept all of their MA/EdS applicants, this looks like a great fit for you.

School psychology MA and EdS program are not as competitive as doctoral Clinical/Counseling psychology programs. Many of the MA/EdS School Psychology program are trying to recruit enough students to fill their classes each year. The doctoral School Psychology programs are more competitive and there are shortages of doctoral level School Psychology internships as they are not able to apply to many Clinical/Counseling Psychology internships.

Last edited: