Looking into schools that have a good live music scene

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lee9786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
One thing weighing into my decision on what PT program to attend is the presence of a live music scene. Many on here state it's difficult to work while attending a DPT program, so playing a two to three hour acoustic gig once in a while might be a great way to both relax and make some money to help pay for expenses throughout PT school. If anything, it would only be a one or two person acoustic gig. Any suggestions of programs/areas I should look into or even which ones don't have anything going on? The prime target would be cafes', coffee shops, and certain bars. I would have no interest in getting back into a three/four man band because it simply wouldn't work due to time conflicts. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

i hear philadelphia is pretty hetty

Members don't see this ad :)
i live in pittsburgh- very solid scene

yeah Pittsburgh would work. Pitt/duquesne would both be suitable for you... I'm sure most major cities would also work.

You could look at attending Texas State in San Marcos. It is about 25 miles south of Austin, TX which is widely regarded as one of the best live music scenes in the country.

A cool thing about their school that I have seen is that they have an on-site clinic at the school in which they see patients from the community daily and the students get hands-on training.

i second Texas State as well as Pacific University (just west of Portland, OR) and University of Washington (Seattle) or University of Puget Sound (Tacoma, near Seattle).

Portland's live music scene is awesome!