Looking to change directions late in undergrad, worried about 3.1 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MiddleMichael

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a 6th year senior in undergrad with 2 major changes under my belt. I've got a 3.1 GPA, with 3.22 in science GPA. I had a really bad semester last spring in which I got a .38 (ouch) GPA. Basically I was directionless in college until that terrible semester. That was the wake-up call I needed to really look at what I want to do with my life, so I took a semester off to figure it out. I've got my motivation back, and I'm willing to put in a lot of effort to make it over the hurdle of getting in to med school.

I'll be graduating at the end of the summer 2013 term with a degree in biology. I was a TA for a lab one semester, and I was vice president of a club for 2 semesters and president for 1 semester. Beyond that, I have pretty much no relevant extra-curriculars. I have worked in a research lab for a couple years, but I've done mostly grunt work without anything to show for real research experience. My most recent semester is my best overall semester thus far: I got a 3.48 GPA while taking Ochem 1 and lab, Principles of Physiology, Clinical Anatomy, and Evolution. By this point I've taken most of the Med School prereqs except physics, nor have I taken the MCAT.

So I guess I'm wondering how much harder I've made things for myself with my poor undergrad performance. I'm willing to do a SMP, I'd prefer to avoid having to do another bachelors, but if that's what it takes then I'm up for it. I'm confident that I can get a solid score on the MCAT. But for the most part I'm only just now getting into looking at what the next step is, as I've spent the past semester and a half just getting my studying and motivation back on track after years of listlessness.

So what can I do to best improve my chances of getting in to med school? What's the most efficient way I can get on track and show a med school that I'm motivated and capable?

Members don't see this ad.

You've damaged yourself quite badly for MD programs, but there's still hope for DO ones.
The best course of action will be to ace everything from here on is. Retake any science F/D/C grades; re-takes do wonders for AACOMAS grade forgiveness.

If you're hell-bent on an MD, then you'll need to not only ace everything from now on, but also to take an SMP to show AdComs you can handle medical school. And, naturally, score >30 on MCAT.

I'm currently a 6th year senior in undergrad with 2 major changes under my belt. I've got a 3.1 GPA, with 3.22 in science GPA. I had a really bad semester last spring in which I got a .38 (ouch) GPA. Basically I was directionless in college until that terrible semester. That was the wake-up call I needed to really look at what I want to do with my life, so I took a semester off to figure it out. I've got my motivation back, and I'm willing to put in a lot of effort to make it over the hurdle of getting in to med school.

I'll be graduating at the end of the summer 2013 term with a degree in biology. I was a TA for a lab one semester, and I was vice president of a club for 2 semesters and president for 1 semester. Beyond that, I have pretty much no relevant extra-curriculars. I have worked in a research lab for a couple years, but I've done mostly grunt work without anything to show for real research experience. My most recent semester is my best overall semester thus far: I got a 3.48 GPA while taking Ochem 1 and lab, Principles of Physiology, Clinical Anatomy, and Evolution. By this point I've taken most of the Med School prereqs except physics, nor have I taken the MCAT.

So I guess I'm wondering how much harder I've made things for myself with my poor undergrad performance. I'm willing to do a SMP, I'd prefer to avoid having to do another bachelors, but if that's what it takes then I'm up for it. I'm confident that I can get a solid score on the MCAT. But for the most part I'm only just now getting into looking at what the next step is, as I've spent the past semester and a half just getting my studying and motivation back on track after years of listlessness.

So what can I do to best improve my chances of getting in to med school? What's the most efficient way I can get on track and show a med school that I'm motivated and capable?