Looking to change my last name as a guy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For the record, I hyphenated and so did my husband. We just wanted to have same name.
I love it. and so does my moscato!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about ports? I don't like ports even a little. And I associate them with old men, leather chairs, and cigars?

Valid point. But, I see a port more like a digestivo, after dinner drink and no one is gonna have a full wine glass or two...or bottle of it. If there is leather and tobacco involved, all the better.

Dr. Horrible

My name is unpronounceable for English speakers so I'd consider changing it into an anglicized version if I were to live in an English speaking country again.

Does anyone else get a malware warning every time they click on this thread?
Yes. Using avast. It's saying it's one of the pictures of Bush.

Last edited:
For the record, I hyphenated and so did my husband. We just wanted to have same name.

How does this work out for successive generations? Multiple hyphens?

Reactions: 1 users
I used to use this argument when traveling abroad (when Bush was president) and everyone was pretending to be Canadian instead of American.

I remember traveling to France with my classmates during the Bush presidency. We all agreed to tell everyone we were Canadian. No joke.

I remember traveling to France with my classmates during the Bush presidency. We all agreed to tell everyone we were Canadian. No joke.

My parents and I did this as well. It wasn't a hard sell, seeing as we border it and half my family actually is Canadian.

How does this work out for successive generations? Multiple hyphens?

If we have children, they can figure out what they want to do. No reason to think that they'd want to do what we did or that they would follow whatever plan we made even if we did come up with a solution.

Reactions: 2 users
If we have children, they can figure out what they want to do. No reason to think that they'd want to do what we did or that they would follow whatever plan we made even if we did come up with a solution.

Good answer.

Does anyone have any perspective on unpronounceable Persian last names in the deep South? I live in Memphis, which is a fairly liberal bastion, but still...

Does anyone have any perspective on unpronounceable Persian last names in the deep South? I live in Memphis, which is a fairly liberal bastion, but still...

What does liberal/conservative have to do with how pronounceable your Persian name is?

Reactions: 2 users
What does liberal/conservative have to do with how pronounceable your Persian name is?
I think the poster was making some suggestion that liberal areas are more educated and able to pronounce foreign names.

That said, Persian names are excruciatingly hard for English speakers, partly because they are too long. So, chop it in half.

I think the poster was making some suggestion that liberal areas are more educated and able to pronounce foreign names.

That said, Persian names are excruciatingly hard for English speakers, partly because they are too long. So, chop it in half.

That's so....uh...racist, no...sexist, no...bigot, no...as someone in the deep south, who isn't liberal, and has actually been to Persia..To hell with you people and your stereotypes. Give me a shot at this name, for the sake of my kindred!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Persian?! Try Thai!

Reactions: 1 users
change it to Doctah

Dr. Doctah!

There's a girl in one of my med school's classes whose last name is Doctor. Her first name starts with an M too so she can be either Dr. Doctor or M.D., MD.

There's a girl in one of my med school's classes whose last name is Doctor. Her first name starts with an M too so she can be either Dr. Doctor or M.D., MD.

Her parents are not very subtle but talk about living up to your name

Reactions: 1 user