Looking to enter Med Sch in US with a foreign degree. Need advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nyvrem

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm not sure if this is the correct sub forum to post this but here's my current case.

I'm a USC, but I studied overseas for my undergraduate degree. Did a BA in Education from NTU (http://www.ntu.edu.sg/Pages/home.aspx) and am working as a teacher right now overseas. I did an evaluation through WES.org of all my coursework, and it states that I have a total of 160 undergraduate credits completed with a GPA of 3.47.

I've been doing volunteer work with the local red cross (blood donation unit) here for the last 2 years, and I recently self studied for the MCAT (just to test myself) and scored a 30 overall. I do not have any formal pre-med classes taken. I'll be going back to the US, middle of 2015. So how do I go from here ?

I know I have to take formal pre-med classes. I will do that at my local 4 year U (in Indiana). Find an internship at a local hospital and re-do my MCAT. But I'm also thinking, should I take a second undergraduate degree to improve my current GPA ? I do not intend to go back into teaching once I'm back in the US, I've been looking at a second degree in Computer Science (As a back up if Med School admission fails). It's a personal interest of mine. So at the end of the day, I would have the following (hopefully)

A foreign degree (BA in Education)
A Second degree in Computer Science (From a US 4 Year Uni)
Pre-Med classes completed (From a US 4 Year Uni)
MCAT completed
2 Years of helping at a red cross + whatever I can do in Indiana for a year.

Is that workable as a plan ? eg. Will my application be competitive enough ?
How will medical schools calculate my GPA for my foreign degree? I've done an evaluation through WES.org but I'm sure medical schools have their own methods of calculations?

I've also been looking at the post-bac pre-med program. But I have my concerns over that. In the event I fail to enter medical school, I would have spent over 30k in tuition and not much to fall back on. Where as, it is also possible to spend 30k to finish a second degree in CS + finish pre-med credits on my own (I've done the math).

Hope to get some advice !

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

I'm not sure if this is the correct sub forum to post this but here's my current case.

I'm a USC, but I studied overseas for my undergraduate degree. Did a BA in Education from NTU (http://www.ntu.edu.sg/Pages/home.aspx) and am working as a teacher right now overseas. I did an evaluation through WES.org of all my coursework, and it states that I have a total of 160 undergraduate credits completed with a GPA of 3.47.

I've been doing volunteer work with the local red cross (blood donation unit) here for the last 2 years, and I recently self studied for the MCAT (just to test myself) and scored a 30 overall. I do not have any formal pre-med classes taken. I'll be going back to the US, middle of 2015. So how do I go from here ?

I know I have to take formal pre-med classes. I will do that at my local 4 year U (in Indiana). Find an internship at a local hospital and re-do my MCAT. But I'm also thinking, should I take a second undergraduate degree to improve my current GPA ? I do not intend to go back into teaching once I'm back in the US, I've been looking at a second degree in Computer Science (As a back up if Med School admission fails). It's a personal interest of mine. So at the end of the day, I would have the following (hopefully)

MCAT completed

How will medical schools calculate my GPA for my foreign degree? I've done an evaluation through WES.org but I'm sure medical schools have their own methods of calculations?

I've also been looking at the post-bac pre-med program. But I have my concerns over that. In the event I fail to enter medical school, I would have spent over 30k in tuition and not much to fall back on. Where as, it is also possible to spend 30k to finish a second degree in CS + finish pre-med credits on my own (I've done the math).

Thank you!

Check with the schools you plan to apply to, but many US med schools require 60-90 US undergraduate credits in order to apply, so the second Bachelor's might not be a bad idea.

Your foreign GPA will not be factored into your AMCAS GPA, though you will have to send a copy of your evaluation in.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hello all,

MCAT completed

Thank you!

After nearly 5 years asking myself similar questions (like you are doing) and searching for alternatives to a second bachelors, here's my two cents. I did my undergrad in Africa (also have WES evaluation). I was in a very similar boat, even as an immigrant. So I DECIDED to complete a Master's Degree and completed some undergraduate courses to supplement my foreign degree. Your plan sounds reasonable, especially because you intend to do computer science in the 2nd bachelors. There may be alternative paths to strengthening your application.
1. Most importantly, DECIDE and PLAN: You have already started, by asking these questions. Just decide and stick with your plan. Stay positive; as much as you want to be flexible to adjust your career plans, please do not beat yourself down with the "if I don't get in" mentality. Stay focused!
2. Do your research and find what suits you best, given your resources at hand: Know what schools will be open to your particular situation. Given that most medical schools are adopting competency-based admission policies, I believe that such schools would consider your application in its entirety, especially when you demonstrate mastery of requisite concepts in the MCAT. In my case, I prepared a spreadsheet listing schools that seem to be lenient towards my foreign credentials and US MS degree/pre-med courses.
4. Take and ace the MCAT. I believe this helps open the doors, for adcoms to want to see why you took the unconventional route. The MCAT tells them that you are at par with the traditional US bachelors-holding applicant. Your story — your life's journey, your motivation, your maturity, your selflessness, etc. will get you through the subsequent phases of the process.
3. Balance your academics with meaningful ECS, as much as possible: medical, community, research, etc.

You may PM me, and I will be happy to send you this spreadsheet. I also have minor comments on each school, as to what they expect one to do to supplement his/her foreign credentials.

Today, I can humbly say that this strategy has found favor with some schools (including my seemingly overreach options); I have 7 offers so far (as of Dec 2014). I hope to matriculate in 2015, and share my story with others who might be struggling with drafting their path with foreign undergraduate credentials. It can be done, if it is done right and well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
this article is absolutely interesting. I'll do more research from that starting point. Thanks a lot!!

Check with the schools you plan to apply to, but many US med schools require 60-90 US undergraduate credits in order to apply, so the second Bachelor's might not be a bad idea.

Your foreign GPA will not be factored into your AMCAS GPA, though you will have to send a copy of your evaluation in.

Good luck.

Yep, this was what I was getting through the replies from the medical schools I've emailed with regards to having a foreign degree. They would require 60-90 undergraduate credits.
Next thing on my mind (which I have also emailed them) was, what if I did 30-45 credits of undergraduate credits (for a second degree) and did a Masters instead.
That would also add up to 90 ish credits but would include graduate credits.

Seems like anyone with a foreign degree would find it hard to enter medical school in the US
):
Should have just completed my undergraduate degree from a US Uni. Especially since now majority of them have online programs.
urggggh.

Hey can you please send me that spreadsheet. Thanks

Amazing how long these threads go on without bringing up the most important question: do you have US citizenship or permanent residency?

oh good. i interpreted that as "at" USC. carry on.

oh good. i interpreted that as "at" USC. carry on.

Unintentional by the OP. (We) folks from the subcontinent tend to use terms and abbreviations not typical here.

54186183.jpg

Edit: :laugh:

Last edited:
After nearly 5 years asking myself similar questions (like you are doing) and searching for alternatives to a second bachelors, here's my two cents. I did my undergrad in Africa (also have WES evaluation). I was in a very similar boat, even as an immigrant. So I DECIDED to complete a Master's Degree and completed some undergraduate courses to supplement my foreign degree. Your plan sounds reasonable, especially because you intend to do computer science in the 2nd bachelors. There may be alternative paths to strengthening your application.
1. Most importantly, DECIDE and PLAN: You have already started, by asking these questions. Just decide and stick with your plan. Stay positive; as much as you want to be flexible to adjust your career plans, please do not beat yourself down with the "if I don't get in" mentality. Stay focused!
2. Do your research and find what suits you best, given your resources at hand: Know what schools will be open to your particular situation. Given that most medical schools are adopting competency-based admission policies, I believe that such schools would consider your application in its entirety, especially when you demonstrate mastery of requisite concepts in the MCAT. In my case, I prepared a spreadsheet listing schools that seem to be lenient towards my foreign credentials and US MS degree/pre-med courses.
4. Take and ace the MCAT. I believe this helps open the doors, for adcoms to want to see why you took the unconventional route. The MCAT tells them that you are at par with the traditional US bachelors-holding applicant. Your story — your life's journey, your motivation, your maturity, your selflessness, etc. will get you through the subsequent phases of the process.
3. Balance your academics with meaningful ECS, as much as possible: medical, community, research, etc.

You may PM me, and I will be happy to send you this spreadsheet. I also have minor comments on each school, as to what they expect one to do to supplement his/her foreign credentials.

Today, I can humbly say that this strategy has found favor with some schools (including my seemingly overreach options); I have 7 offers so far (as of Dec 2014). I hope to matriculate in 2015, and share my story with others who might be struggling with drafting their path with foreign undergraduate credentials. It can be done, if it is done right and well.
I would love this info/spreadsheet! Graduated from a foreign uni and taking US premed classes as well

I want the spreadsheet too. Can I pm you? Thanks!

Hi, I am non-tradition in more ways - I am 41, having foreign bachelors in life sciences & MBA Graduate, currently working in tech industry and in line to get my green card in couple of years. Hope its not too late and really passionate to enter medical school. I completed all my education outside US more than a decade ago.

I need some guidance as to where to start and how many credits I need to accumulate to get considered to med schools in US. I also want the spreadsheet so I can send some emails to get an idea of what is needed to be considered to be accepted.

Please let me know if I can PM you for the spreadsheet.

Hi, I am non-tradition in more ways - I am 41, having foreign bachelors in life sciences & MBA Graduate, currently working in tech industry and in line to get my green card in couple of years. Hope its not too late and really passionate to enter medical school. I completed all my education outside US more than a decade ago.

I need some guidance as to where to start and how many credits I need to accumulate to get considered to med schools in US. I also want the spreadsheet so I can send some emails to get an idea of what is needed to be considered to be accepted.

Please let me know if I can PM you for the spreadsheet.
Yes. PM me your email address.