LOOKOUT . . . I see a salespitch coming!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Future_Doc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got a letter from the college about orientation in August. The instructor of Intro. to Clinical Med doesn't want us to purchase any equipment that we may need prior to orientation. The letter had a list of items that we will need. I think I've heard this somewhere before, but I wonder if they are going to have salesreps show us a layout of equipment and try to get us to buy from them instead of finding our own (for probably a lot cheaper :mad: ). Anyone else get something like this?

I guess I have to admit, even though I am somewhat skeptical about this, it still got me excited :D I can't wait until August!!

Members don't see this ad.

why would the school care where you buy your equipment? do you think they make some sort of commission off of it? maybe they just don't want you to waste your money on things you don't need.

I agree with johnM. Why should they care? On the other hand I've heard that most schools have "equipment fairs" where they have a bunch of vendors come and show their products. Kind of a one-stop shop. Also, there are supposedly pretty good deals on stuff at these events.

Personally, I see the buying of equipment as kind of another right of passage, the next one after the white coat ceremony.

You're right... they tell you not to buy anything beforehand because sales reps DO come to sell you the stuff you need. The thing is, when they come, you can order from them for a lot cheaper than you'll find anywhere else. So, the school's doing you a favor by telling you to hold off buying equipment. Also, one of the faculty for the clinical course will probably give you reccomendations for what you should buy (what you need for the course, how "high quality" it should be, etc.), before the biased sales reps show up. So, consider the letter's advice a good thing. :)