Looks like I will be Reapplying. Please give me advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BVille

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,

I applied to 16 schools. Received 1 interview, got rejected from 9 and am on hold/heard nothing from 6 of them. It looks like I am going to have to take a year off and reapply.

At the time of application I had
-3.9+ Gpa/ 35 MCAT (which I still have)
-only about 50 hours of clinical volunteer
-about 100 hours non-clinical volunteering
-100 hours of shadowing
-2 years of research
-a mediocre committee recommendation due to my lack of volunteer experience and the fact that I had only take the basic science pre-reqs
-I had an institutional action for consumption of alcohol my fall semester freshman year of college (which gets erased when I graduate in the spring)

Since the time of my application
-I am working on a thesis in collaboration with a few professors that combines psycho-immunology with the research lab i've previously worked in
-I am volunteering at the emergency department
-I took biochemistry

Sorry for the long-winded post. It looks like I will have to go through the cycle again and I am completely clueless as to how I should approach a gap year. I have developed a relationship with the med school committee and will attempt to get a better recommendation this time around. But I would appreciate any suggestions on the most effective way to handle a gap year.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am inclined to say that your list of 16 schools are too top heavy and your non-academic credentials are lacking in community services and extracurricular activities. You should ask the admissions at those 16 schools for feedback on their decisions, and try to apply much more broadly in the next cycle.

I did not list all my extra-curriculars and 80% of the schools I applied to I was around their 90th percentile on MSAR. I thought I applied safely. Thank you, I will definitely call some of the schools and ask how I can approve. I will also consider DO next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would consider asking your letter committee what they want want to see to get a good letter. Did you have other letters?
Your numbers are good. Was your personal statement professionally edited?

All of my regular recommendations were good according to my pre-med adviser. They said I needed improved clinical experience and a stronger science semester, but I am a psychology major so I had a lot of other classes to take. I have been volunteering in the emergency department and working on a thesis so my adviser said there's a good chance my rec. will improve if I go through the committee again.

My personal statement was read by my pre-med adviser, friends, and taken to the writing center. This time I will ask more physicians to look over it and revise it.

Although my stats are good, according to my adviser, people from my university just "dont get into good medical schools" direct quote.

Although my stats are good, according to my adviser, people from my university just "dont get into good medical schools" direct quote.
Sounds like that premed adviser isn't very good at his/her job. Just like most premed advisers. I suggest taking him/her MUCH less seriously.

Reactions: 1 users
Also call up the school where you interviewed, and those where you were rejected, and ask for a post-rejection phone interview with an admission officer later this Spring. Probably only the place that interviewed you will do this, but it would be useful.

I intend to get as much feedback as possible. It does not seem like it would be worth it to do a grad program next year. Would it be best for me to try to get a job in a hospital setting?

I intend to get as much feedback as possible. It does not seem like it would be worth it to do a grad program next year. Would it be best for me to try to get a job in a hospital setting?
You are academically strong by your GPA and MCAT, so further school wouldn't help your app.
Yeah, job in healthcare would be great.

This is what's lethal about your app:
only about 50 hours of clinical volunteer

I want you to triple that number and then you'll be golden!

And make sure that you get a better committee LOR.

Hello SDN,

I applied to 16 schools. Received 1 interview, got rejected from 9 and am on hold/heard nothing from 6 of them. It looks like I am going to have to take a year off and reapply.

At the time of application I had
-3.9+ Gpa/ 35 MCAT (which I still have)
-only about 50 hours of clinical volunteer
-about 100 hours non-clinical volunteering
-100 hours of shadowing
-2 years of research
-a mediocre committee recommendation due to my lack of volunteer experience and the fact that I had only take the basic science pre-reqs
-I had an institutional action for consumption of alcohol my fall semester freshman year of college (which gets erased when I graduate in the spring)

Since the time of my application
-I am working on a thesis in collaboration with a few professors that combines psycho-immunology with the research lab i've previously worked in
-I am volunteering at the emergency department
-I took biochemistry

Sorry for the long-winded post. It looks like I will have to go through the cycle again and I am completely clueless as to how I should approach a gap year. I have developed a relationship with the med school committee and will attempt to get a better recommendation this time around. But I would appreciate any suggestions on the most effective way to handle a gap year.