LOR challenges

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

babycatcher09

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, it just dawned on me that schools may not accept my graduate nursing professors as "science faculty" for LORs. I graduated from a small liberal arts school 11 years ago and when I checked the website, there is only 1 professor that is even still working there!!! I have plenty and (very good) letters of rec from bosses (one of which is faculty at my number one choice school). Any thoughts on this? Who should I try and contact to ask?

Members don't see this ad.

If your coursework is over 11 years old, you have other things that are going to be of greater concern for an ADCOM than letters of rec i.e. are you still able to perform well academically? Your best bet is to take some post-bac classes to show that you are capable of achieving at a high level academically in a science heavy curriculum. If you keep in mind that you need letters of rec it will give you an incentive to go to office hours and build relationships with your professors.

So, it just dawned on me that schools may not accept my graduate nursing professors as "science faculty" for LORs. I graduated from a small liberal arts school 11 years ago and when I checked the website, there is only 1 professor that is even still working there!!! I have plenty and (very good) letters of rec from bosses (one of which is faculty at my number one choice school). Any thoughts on this? Who should I try and contact to ask?

Reactions: 1 users
^Agree with the above. How recently did you last take science coursework? And if you completed it as part of a nursing program, you may want to do some further investigation to find out if the courses you took will be accepted. I know that some nursing programs actually offer science courses that are different from what many universities offer in standard undergrad science departments.

As for LORs, you want to them to be as recent as possible! An LOR from someone who only remembers that you got an A in their class several years ago won't help and can actually hurt.