LoR Choice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drk

Fellow
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, IMG planning to apply this year.

I have 3 US LoRs - 2 Clinical 1 research
I have 1 LoR from a UK trained physician who works at a place I interned at, very well known place - research LoR
I then have many LoRs from my Indian medical school, including my chairman of medicine.

I've been researching programs and many specifically say they want a chairman of medicine LoR. In that case I would send all 3 US LoRs and my chairmans.

This specific requirement is only outlined in like 10% of the programs I have looked at. My question is for the other programs should I go with the 3 US LoRs and as the fourth use my UK trained physicians LoR? People say non-US LoRs are pretty much useless as the people writing them are completely unknown and rightfully so I guess. The problem I was looking at is my home LoR was a clinical letter so at places who want it I would be sending 3 Clinical letters and 1 research letter. Whereas if I used the other it would be 2 clinical and 2 research letters if that matters at all. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.