LOR Conventions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blackroses

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it generally considered inappropriate (or looked down upon) to use an LOR from a coach that you paid for their services?

I compete in an individual sport under the guidance of a coach (and have done so since the 6th grade). I also worked for this coach for many of those years and very successfully competed at a world level in my sport. As this is such a huge aspect of my life and does demonstrate significant dedication, effort, time commitment, etc. and actually somewhat relates to my interest in medicine, I would really like to put it on display.

Members don't see this ad.

It would not have popped into my head reading a LOR from a coach for an individual sport that the coach is paid by the athlete (or the athlete's family). Elite athletes are highly regarded by some adcom members and having a LOR from a coach will highlight that activity which should also appear in the "experience" section of the application. Furthermore, the coach, moreso than many faculty members, can speak to the ways you've dealt with disappointment, your determination, & how well you take direction and correction. I strongly urge you to ask your coach for a LOR.

Reactions: 2 users
It would not have popped into my head reading a LOR from a coach for an individual sport that the coach is paid by the athlete (or the athlete's family). Elite athletes are highly regarded by some adcom members and having a LOR from a coach will highlight that activity which should also appear in the "experience" section of the application. Furthermore, the coach, moreso than many faculty members, can speak to the ways you've dealt with disappointment, your determination, & how well you take direction and correction. I strongly urge you to ask your coach for a LOR.

Thank you for your response! That makes me feel a lot better.