LOR Deadline for 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gonius

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
when is the latest time that I can turn in a LOR for the 2009 application? Thank you in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Depends.

Each program will have their own deadline by when applications have to be in. The NRMP deadline is not posted yet for 2009 but its usually end of December. Bear in mind however, that many programs have application deadlines earlier than those of the NRMP. In most cases, you should aim to have all your LORs in by November 1 at the latest. Most try to have them all in, except the Dean's letter/MSPE, by September when they apply.

Question, but what if the rotations from which we need the LORs aren't until early fall?

deans letters won't go out until November 1st. as long as you get your LORs in before this date you should be ok because all your programs will download stuff from ERAS that day.

If your rotations are early fall, ie, September, that should be plenty of time to get an LOR in.

However, do not wait until November 1 to submit them, if possible, because programs may consider your app incomplete and will withhold interview invites until the LORs are in.

But I keep hearing "earlier is better" when it comes to applying.
And I understand I can't apply to a program without having the requisite LORs.

So are you saying that if I get my LORs in on October 30th, I'm on equal footing with someone who gets them in in August ?

You can apply to programs (allowing programs to download your information) at anytime starting Sept 1st. You may upload parts of your application (LOR's, personal statemenets, etc) as you get them. Some residency programs will start downloading information and consider you for interviews even without a complete application. Some programs don't offer interviews until all the application materials are complete including the Dean's Letter (MSPE). Dean's Letters are not available for download until Nov 1st even if yours school uploads them before then.
In the first case, you should get everything in as soon as you can. For the latter type of program I described, if you get your LORs in on October 30th, you are on equal footing with someone who gets them in in August

But I keep hearing "earlier is better" when it comes to applying.
And I understand I can't apply to a program without having the requisite LORs.

So are you saying that if I get my LORs in on October 30th, I'm on equal footing with someone who gets them in in August ?

ERAS allows you to submit 4 LOR's. Here's what you should do:

Make sure that 2-3 LOR's are submitted by Oct 1st. One letter should be from your core 3rd year rotation in your chosen field. One letter should be from another 3rd year core -- often IM or surgery since those rotations are usually longer but really can be anything.

A third letter should be from a fourth year rotation. If you did a Sub-I in your chosen field, this should be letter #3. This letter might get submitted a bit later, but you'd like to have it in by Nov 1st (or mid Nov) if at all possible.

A fourth letter is optional. You could save it in case a 4th year rotation goes really well, and you want to add it later. An away rotation, or a research letter are other choices.

Don't forget in these timelines to leave the letter writer time -- you have no control over how long a letter writer will take, or whether they will write your letter at all. Therefore, you should ask for one additional letter (i.e. ask for three letters from your third year rotations above) -- this way in case some letter writer is very slow, you're covered.