LOR Dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HereEyeAm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In need of some advice please! I'm getting conflicting answers on which letter to submit to programs. I'm an MS4 from a state school without a home program, but I have managed to spend time with quite a few academic ophthalmologists during my school breaks and on away rotations. I have two options for my second ophthalmology letter and would love some input.

#1 - Well-respected faculty member at a solid nearby residency program. Good name recognition in the state. Assured me (unsolicited) that s/he had written me a very strong and personal letter.

#2 - Internationally well-known ophthalmologist in private practice. Instant name recognition with every ophthalmologist I have worked with to date. I performed well (I think) on my rotation with him/her. However, I do not believe that my letter will be very personal. Probably a standard shortish letter based largely on my CV, written by an assistant and briefly skimmed before submission by the actually ophthalmologist.

The standard wisdom on these forums says go with the letter from the more well-known name. I have reservations about this because I am not as confident about the content of the letter from #2 as I am about the letter from #1. I plan to apply to programs all over the country, but would be happy to match locally/regionally. I think #2's name would catch the eye of programs outside of my region, but it will likely be somewhat of a form letter.

What would you do?

Members don't see this ad.

In need of some advice please! I'm getting conflicting answers on which letter to submit to programs. I'm an MS4 from a state school without a home program, but I have managed to spend time with quite a few academic ophthalmologists during my school breaks and on away rotations. I have two options for my second ophthalmology letter and would love some input.

#1 - Well-respected faculty member at a solid nearby residency program. Good name recognition in the state. Assured me (unsolicited) that s/he had written me a very strong and personal letter.

#2 - Internationally well-known ophthalmologist in private practice. Instant name recognition with every ophthalmologist I have worked with to date. I performed well (I think) on my rotation with him/her. However, I do not believe that my letter will be very personal. Probably a standard shortish letter based largely on my CV, written by an assistant and briefly skimmed before submission by the actually ophthalmologist.

The standard wisdom on these forums says go with the letter from the more well-known name. I have reservations about this because I am not as confident about the content of the letter from #2 as I am about the letter from #1. I plan to apply to programs all over the country, but would be happy to match locally/regionally. I think #2's name would catch the eye of programs outside of my region, but it will likely be somewhat of a form letter.

What would you do?

#1 hands down. Personal goes a long way. People on here will tell you how interviewers mention a well-written letter and the impact it seems to have.

Also it sounds like writer #1 will pick up a phone for you or write an email and praise you if need be. He will know all the right things to say.

#1 hands down. Personal goes a long way. People on here will tell you how interviewers mention a well-written letter and the impact it seems to have.

Also it sounds like writer #1 will pick up a phone for you or write an email and praise you if need be. He will know all the right things to say.

That is the direction I'm leaning. It's just tough to pass on using letter #2 because I went far out of my way to arrange a rotation with this ophthalmologist… and I learned a ton from the rotation! S/he gave me a lot of independence in the clinic and on consults. I grew enormously in my ability to perform and document a full exam. I'm just not convinced that the letter will be anything special.

Any one else face a similar dilemma? What did you do?