LOR dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Confused1617

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am kind of bummed out about this. I asked three professors for a LOR, and they all said yes and agreed. This was in Decemeber 2014 and I told them I would need it in June. They all know me very well and I excelled in their classes and spoke to them a lot when I had them in class. I recently recontacted these professors, and I am surprised with the result.
Professor 1 whom I did research with, and mentored me for 3 years, will be resigning from her position and says her letter will not help since she won't be working.

Professor 2 is completely ignoring me and recently said he is very busy and will be out of the country so he can't write me one.

Professor 3 said it would be best if I ask my TA to write it and he will cosign it??? I barely spoke to the TA!!

So now I am not sure what to do. I have gotten an A in almost every science class but I went to a large university and I doubt any of my professors remember me.
Any advice? Should I email every professor I've had for a letter? they are going to be crappy. I am not sure what to do. What upsets me the most is that they all agreed and were welcoming at first, and now they flip the script.
I have high stats (GPA 3.92, AA 22 TS 22 PA 20) but I don't know what to do if I can't get letters. I graduated May 2014, so it is difficult to get in touch with them.

Members don't see this ad.

So I am kind of bummed out about this. I asked three professors for a LOR, and they all said yes and agreed. This was in Decemeber 2014 and I told them I would need it in June. They all know me very well and I excelled in their classes and spoke to them a lot when I had them in class. I recently recontacted these professors, and I am surprised with the result.
Professor 1 whom I did research with, and mentored me for 3 years, will be resigning from her position and says her letter will not help since she won't be working.

Professor 2 is completely ignoring me and recently said he is very busy and will be out of the country so he can't write me one.

Professor 3 said it would be best if I ask my TA to write it and he will cosign it??? I barely spoke to the TA!!

So now I am not sure what to do. I have gotten an A in almost every science class but I went to a large university and I doubt any of my professors remember me.
Any advice? Should I email every professor I've had for a letter? they are going to be crappy. I am not sure what to do. What upsets me the most is that they all agreed and were welcoming at first, and now they flip the script.
I have high stats (GPA 3.92, AA 22 TS 22 PA 20) but I don't know what to do if I can't get letters. I graduated May 2014, so it is difficult to get in touch with them.
Don't be discouraged. Email the past professors who you think are passionate about teaching and genuinely care about their students, you'd be surprised. If they agree to, you can schedule an appointment to meet them in their office so that they can get to know you more and write a good letter. There are many professors out there who are willing to take time out from their busy schedule and help students succeed (I am very lucky to be in that situation). The answer is always no if you don't ask, right?
Also, how come you didn't ask for their letters back in December? (Just curious).

Don't be discouraged. Email the past professors who you think are passionate about teaching and genuinely care about their students, you'd be surprised. If they agree to, you can schedule an appointment to meet them in their office so that they can get to know you more and write a good letter. There are many professors out there who are willing to take time out from their busy schedule and help students succeed (I am very lucky to be in that situation). The answer is always no if you don't ask, right?
Also, how come you didn't ask for their letters back in December? (Just curious).

yep, you can store your letters back in Dec. life is risky and unpredictable. Its ok, take it easy!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the reply. I didn't have my personal statement ready so they said to ask them when I am ready. I then decided to get the DAT out the way and then work on the PS. So I contacted them in mid April when I was ready. I really didn't think this would happen because I was very close to these professors.

Thank you for the reply. I didn't have my personal statement ready so they said to ask them when I am ready. I then decided to get the DAT out the way and then work on the PS. So I contacted them in mid April when I was ready. I really didn't think this would happen because I was very close to these professors.
Oh I see.
Get going and start contacting the other professors now. "You gotta be hungry!" like Les Brown (a motivational speaker) said. There are many hungry people out there trying to hunt for letters at this time of the year. Good luck!!