LOR due soon! Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Premed:)

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I asked one of my professors with whom I got an A in the class(Biology) for an LOR. She said something along the lines of only giving letters for people who work with her in the lab? I need 2 LORs by the end of October and I'm a sophomore. I RARELY talked to any of my past professors. Only thing I probably did was ask after class "Hi, is this gunna be on the exam", if even that! Who do I ask and how????? I have competitive grades (3.91 sGPA , 4.0 if you take out stats classes, don't know if psychology counts so i took that out) and work as a CNA... I need these LORs!!!

Sophomore in college. Partnership program with Med School. BS/MD path... NOT DIRECT ENTRY!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The last thing that impresses a professor is when some sophomore kid who never showed any intellectual curiosity or interest in their work comes to their office to beg for a LOR. You dig yourself these holes when you fail to go the extra mile and decide to skirt by with an A instead of an actual education.

Also, she couldn't be less impressed by you "4.0 without stats".

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The last thing that impresses a professor is when some sophomore kid who never showed any intellectual curiosity or interest in their work comes to their office to beg for a LOR. You dig yourself these holes when you fail to go the extra mile and decide to skirt by with an A instead of an actual education.

Jeez, I already know I messed up... You don't need to rub it in, could've just added some of your expertise/advice, that IS all I asked for anyways. If I wanted criticism I would've said "Please critique me"...

Why do you need letters so urgently?

There's a BAC/MD path in our school. Partnership program kinda thing that allows sophmores to apply and if accepted, are guaranteed a seat in med school

Jeez, I already know I messed up... You don't need to rub it in, could've just added some of your expertise/advice, that IS all I asked for anyways. If I wanted criticism I would've said "Please critique me"...
You're a moderately established troll. I have no reason to take anything you say particularly seriously.

But, if I were to give you the benefit of the doubt, I'd suggest you start engaging with professors now, and maybe by the end of this or the next semester, you'll have a good letter writer.

Reactions: 1 user
You're a moderately established troll. I have no reason to take anything you say particularly seriously.

But, if I were to give you the benefit of the doubt, I'd suggest you start engaging with professors now, and maybe by the end of this or the next semester, you'll have a good letter writer.

Don't know if you read the post completely and thoroughly, I need these LORs by Oct. 23. Any chance of getting them or absolutely nill.

Don't know if you read the post completely and thoroughly, I need these LORs by Oct. 23. Any chance of getting them or absolutely nill.
I understand the time constraint. Your OP didn't mention the program. You didn't read my post thoroughly, because I was speaking about "good" LORs, not mediocre ones. Perhaps you may beg a mercy letter out of another professor by the middle of the month...

Reactions: 1 users
You need LOR's already? Is this what happens? Or am I just misinformed??

Only thing I probably did was ask after class "Hi, is this gunna be on the exam"

:claps: every faculty member that resists the urge to smack the students who do this upside the head.

@OP and you wonder why she's not jumping up and down to get you an LOR? :smack:

You got an A, but you didn't get an actual education?

I guess I'm curious as to what qualifies as an actual education. People get A's in classes all the time by learning the material. And I would figure that that is in fact, an actual education. I agree that it's difficult to obtain letters if you've never formed a relationship. But, I can count on 1 finger the number of professors I showed interest in the work of. And, I didn't ask that one for a letter.

Moreover, faking an interest in a professor's research doesn't really improve the quality of your education, does it?

Members don't see this ad :)
So you need 2 LORs in essentially 2 weeks? Good luck with that. Even if you had an excellent relationship with a professor, a 2 week window is still pretty small. Evidently, you have NO relationship with any professor, which will only make the LOR worse. Do they actually take into the account the 2 LORs in admissions, or is it more of a formality? If the former, I wouldn't anticipate getting in unless this professor finds a reason (I don't see one) to embellish for you.

The only thing you can do at this point is ask. Chances are, the LOR is going to be weak regardless, so you might as well ask professors in classes where you excelled to write one. Normally, I would suggest asking for a STRONG LOR, but at this point, you should be realistic. Take what you can get.

Last edited:
You got an A, but you didn't get an actual education?

I guess I'm curious as to what qualifies as an actual education. People get A's in classes all the time by learning the material. And I would figure that that is in fact, an actual education. I agree that it's difficult to obtain letters if you've never formed a relationship. But, I can count on 1 finger the number of professors I showed interest in the work of. And, I didn't ask that one for a letter.

Moreover, faking an interest in a professor's research doesn't really improve the quality of your education, does it?
It's easy for some people -- including myself and especially in biology courses -- to push through and get an A without a terrible amount of extra effort. As a result, you don't end up retaining much.

It's easy for some people -- including myself and especially in biology courses -- to push through and get an A without a terrible amount of extra effort. As a result, you don't end up retaining much.

But you don't even know the OP. The OP didn't say anything to indicate he did that. You just read that he doesn't know this Professor that well and decided, well, you aren't getting a real education?

Cool story, bro.

But you don't even know the OP. The OP didn't say anything to indicate he did that. You just read that he doesn't know this Professor that well and decided, well, you aren't getting a real education?

Cool story, bro.
Yes, he did. Read his initial post. The hallmarks of the apathetic, easy A "is this gonna be on the test?" premed are there. He's also a known troll, so I have few qualms about giving him a little trouble :shrug:

In the future, make an investment to actually get to know your professors. Your past actions are a recipe for failure in this regard. You're going to have to retrench and try again in the future, hopefully under better circumstances. The best you can get right now will be "Premed took my Organic Chemistry class and received an A"

So I asked one of my professors with whom I got an A in the class(Biology) for an LOR. She said something along the lines of only giving letters for people who work with her in the lab? I need 2 LORs by the end of October and I'm a sophomore. I RARELY talked to any of my past professors. Only thing I probably did was ask after class "Hi, is this gunna be on the exam", if even that! Who do I ask and how????? I have competitive grades (3.91 sGPA , 4.0 if you take out stats classes, don't know if psychology counts so i took that out) and work as a CNA... I need these LORs!!!

Sophomore in college. Partnership program with Med School. BS/MD path... NOT DIRECT ENTRY!!!

Entitlement++

If you can't put together two LOR, maybe you shouldn't be applying for this?

Your reward for getting an A in someone's class is an A on your transcript. If you want a LOR, never mind a good letter of recommendation, you need people who actually want to recommend you for something.

Reactions: 2 users
I see these types of posts and remember a few years ago when one youngish peer of mine asked why I always talked to my professors about class, research, interests, etc.

Well? Cuz 4 weeks ago, out of the blue, I wrote one of them and said, "I'm not sure you'll remember me, but was hoping I might get a syllabus from that semester to get my course evaluated" .... and the response?

"Of course I remember you! How are you? How's ... what are you up to? Let me know if you need anything from me. Here's the syllabus."

Why yes, I probably will ask him to write and LOR next year ;) Though my intent on getting to know them was not for LOR purposes (it was interest in what they teach), those extra times speaking to them sure has worked out.

(P.S. Our class sizes were 800+ ... so since me, this particular individual has had at least, 6400 students through his courses)

OP, put yourself in your professor's shoes. If they don't know you, how are they supposed to recommend you for something?

"This student was present in my class and performed well.

- Dr. Couldn't Care Less"

That's what you want?

Surely you can find another science professor to ask?

I just need ONE LOR from a science/math professor... So far, one of them turned me down. I don't know who else to ask in terms of science/math professors because I never made the effort to talk to them after class. I never really looked at it as something I should have invested my time into, but I guess looking forward, and looking back, I should have done so for situations just like this.

And as for people who say "you can get an A and not have really learned anything". I agree somewhat with this when it comes to easier classes like women's psychology or English or something, but when your taking upper level classes like organic chemistry you kind of have to understand the material in order to do well...

If you're really in a crunch, find one who doesn't speak much English. Those types do have the tendency to let you write a "draft."

Ok... I'm going to assume you are NOT a troll - because this is totally idiotic.

As a teacher/instructor - I would never take on a LOR with less than 2 week notice. I tell students I "can" write it - but it won't really be good. But whatever... here's what you need to do.

You need to "pre-write" your letter of rec. By pre-write - I mean give them enough things to write about. Why? Because you didn't make an effort to talk to them - so they don't know you.

How to pre-write:

Dear Dr. Blah blah,

I'm So-and-So and was in your XXX class. I thoroughly enjoyed XXX and particular the area of YYYY. I am applying to ZZZZ and I hope you can write me a letter of recommendation - the deadline will be Oct. 20 (make the deadline earlier - I always miss deadlines). I hope to become a physician and was inspired because of AAAA.

Here are a few reminders about myself and things that may help you with the recommendation (because I don't really want to think for 2 hours about how awesome a student who - especially one who I know nothing about).

(List personality traits with supporting evidence - ie. I am diligent with details as seen with my mastery in ochem mechanism drawing - or whatever, list some volunteer work you have done, why you should be a physician).

Please let me know if you would be willing to do this,

Thank you,
YOUR NAME.

I just need ONE LOR from a science/math professor... So far, one of them turned me down. I don't know who else to ask in terms of science/math professors because I never made the effort to talk to them after class. I never really looked at it as something I should have invested my time into, but I guess looking forward, and looking back, I should have done so for situations just like this.

And as for people who say "you can get an A and not have really learned anything". I agree somewhat with this when it comes to easier classes like women's psychology or English or something, but when your taking upper level classes like organic chemistry you kind of have to understand the material in order to do well...

Are there any other professors you could potentially talk to? I've asked many professors before that I have not gotten to know quite well for LORs. Most of them are understanding and just ask me for a resume, a paragraph of why I'm interested in the program, and a brief description of strengths/weaknesses. I would do what moisne suggested above, also including why you chose that professor specifically as your letter writer

"4.0 if you take out stats classes, don't know if psychology counts so i took that out"

Thanks for the ab workout bud.