LOR for first year research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FistLength

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Never mind...got my answer!

Basically, from what I understand, first and second year letters are not very important?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Never mind...got my answer!

Basically, from what I understand, first and second year letters are not very important?
If you have significant research experience that was productive and informs your specialty choice, then a LOR from a research advisor is reasonable. Otherwise, it's completely useless.

If you have significant research experience that was productive and informs your specialty choice, then a LOR from a research advisor is reasonable. Otherwise, it's completely useless.

I am getting published with him, in the field that I am strongly considering. He was very supportive and would likely write a very strong letter. Thing is that I just started 2nd year, so I do not have ERAS to submit to. Do you think I should use interfolio to store the letter, and somehow upload it later? It was only summer research, but I worked full time and was able to accomplish above what he initially envisioned.

I am getting published with him, in the field that I am strongly considering. He was very supportive and would likely write a very strong letter. Thing is that I just started 2nd year, so I do not have ERAS to submit to. Do you think I should use interfolio to store the letter, and somehow upload it later? It was only summer research, but I worked full time and was able to accomplish above what he initially envisioned.
Just have him write it now and then ask him to re-date it later if you decide to use it. You probably won't.

Reactions: 1 user
If it's an academic programme and like others said, if it informs your specialty of choice, sure, go ahead with his letter. I would advise that you ask your advisor to write the letter now and when the ERAS season comes for you, he can re-date and upload the letter. Also, take a copy of that letter now too, just in case! I'm filling in ERAS now and getting my second year research letter uploaded.