LOR from a non-MD Healthcare Practitioner

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

byron108

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to Med School this cycle and I had an MD LOR lined up, but that fell through because my physician is really busy. I also spent 9 months shadowing/interning with a Chiropractor who allowed me a lot of responsibility such as interacting with patients, prepping materials for treatments, and even performing some of the therapies in the office. I have a good relationship with that Chiropractor, but I was wondering whether a LOR from her would be looked upon favorably. I will probably get another LOR from a different MD anyway but it wouldn't be as strong of a letter as the one from the chiropractor since she knows me a lot better and has seen my work ethic and other redeeming qualities whereas my backup MD I only shadowed for 2 days.

Help!! What do you guys think.

Members don't see this ad.

Given the extremely negative view that many physicians have of alternative medicine, I would say absolutely not.

Reactions: 2 users
Given the extremely negative view that many physicians have of alternative medicine, I would say absolutely not.

Even though I didn't really do anything alternative? I got a lot of direct patient experience, and I got the opportunity to set up QEEGs as well as see how healthcare administration works... Would the potential "character letter" benefit outweigh the credentials of DC vs MD?

Members don't see this ad :)
The general consensus is physician letters are fluff. Therefore chiropractor letters (for an MD application) are a step below fluff

Reactions: 1 users
That is just my opinion, I'll let the adcoms roll by and give you a better answer. Replace chiropractor with homeopath: would you still be asking this question?

Reactions: 1 user
Haha oh gosh. Well thanks for the input. Guess I won't be putting it on my activities list either....

Reactions: 1 user
An NP, PA, RT or other who worked with for an extensive period of time might be worth something.

But a Chiropractor isnt even lint. Its more like that annoying tissue that got in the dryer and got all over your clothes and just makes you frustrated and pissed.

Until you get some back pain and a prescription for pain meds from your doc.

If the letter assesses OP's character, qualities and personality, why does it matter if it's from a chiropractor, nurse, professor, doctor, boss, etc? Its not like OP only shadowed a doctor and asked for a letter, they actually worked with/for the chiropractor and built a relationship that allows her to write a positive letter about their positive attrubutes. As long as the letter doesn't go on the topic of why OP should be a chiropractor, I really don't see why this would be a negative letter...

If the letter assesses OP's character, qualities and personality, why does it matter if it's from a chiropractor, nurse, professor, doctor, boss, etc? Its not like OP only shadowed a doctor and asked for a letter, they actually worked with/for the chiropractor and built a relationship that allows her to write a positive letter about their positive attrubutes. As long as the letter doesn't go on the topic of why OP should be a chiropractor, I really don't see why this would be a negative letter...

Mainly the issue is shadowing letters in general are not useful. About the best thing that can come from them is "Johnny did a great job of following me around for a week. He was courteous, showed up on time, and wore a nice tie." This doesn't add anything substantial to one's application.

You might as well get a LOR from a Mayan shaman, a Hogwarts-trained herbologist, or a naturopath.

I am applying to Med School this cycle and I had an MD LOR lined up, but that fell through because my physician is really busy. I also spent 9 months shadowing/interning with a Chiropractor who allowed me a lot of responsibility such as interacting with patients, prepping materials for treatments, and even performing some of the therapies in the office. I have a good relationship with that Chiropractor, but I was wondering whether a LOR from her would be looked upon favorably. I will probably get another LOR from a different MD anyway but it wouldn't be as strong of a letter as the one from the chiropractor since she knows me a lot better and has seen my work ethic and other redeeming qualities whereas my backup MD I only shadowed for 2 days.

Help!! What do you guys think.

Reactions: 3 users
You might as well get a LOR from a Mayan shaman, a Hogwarts-trained herbologist, or a naturopath.

If I could get a LOR from Professor Sprout I would totally add that to my application

Reactions: 5 users
Off topic, but it's in your best interest to change your picture as soon as possible.