LOR from an optometrist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yummygummie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Back when I was considering optometry school I was working at an optometrist's office. I did pre-testing of patients, setting up the exam room and scribing during the actual exam. While working at the optometrist's I decided on medical school, but I did get a LOR from the doctor recommending me for medical school. Debating whether I should use it or not, but it should be a strong LOR because the optometrist and I worked well together.

Would this be looked upon negatively? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Back when I was considering optometry school I was working at an optometrist's office. I did pre-testing of patients, setting up the exam room and scribing during the actual exam. While working at the optometrist's I decided on medical school, but I did get a LOR from the doctor recommending me for medical school. Debating whether I should use it or not, but it should be a strong LOR because the optometrist and I worked well together.

Would this be looked upon negatively? Thanks!
There are a few schools that like a "clinical" letter and some schools require one.
For these purposes it is fine.
If you were employed here for some time, he could speak to your reliability and adaptability and some assessment of your interpersonal skills. Be sure to give him a link to the recommendations for a LOE from AMCAS.
https://www.aamc.org/download/349990/data/lettersguidelinesbrochure.pdf

Thank you! I was worried the admissions committee might look upon a LOR from an optometrist negatively and question my sincerity toward medicine. The optometrist assured me it would be a strong letter, so I'll be happy to use it :)

Thank you! I was worried the admissions committee might look upon a LOR from an optometrist negatively and question my sincerity toward medicine. The optometrist assured me it would be a strong letter, so I'll be happy to use it :)

If you had a professional working relationship it'll be fine. Do you think med schools question someone's commitment to medicine when a PI who is a PhD and not an MD writes someone a rec letter? Of course not