LOR from med school professor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheOtherPA

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently work in an academic medical center as a PA and work very closely with an attending who does a lot of teaching for the medical school. I have worked with said attending closely on several special projects and have a very good working relationship with him. Considering my stats are about in line with the school average, do you think an LOR from this attending would give me a decent leg up in admissions, or is med school admissions not much of a who-you-know thing? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I currently work in an academic medical center as a PA and work very closely with an attending who does a lot of teaching for the medical school. I have worked with said attending closely on several special projects and have a very good working relationship with him. Considering my stats are about in line with the school average, do you think an LOR from this attending would give me a decent leg up in admissions, or is med school admissions not much of a who-you-know thing? Thanks!

It depends on his relationship with the members of the admissions committee. If he is well respected at the institution, or if a member of the admissions committee personally knows him and holds his opinion in high regard, then his letter may be more helpful than one from some random faculty at another school, all things being equal (ie, each letter is equally glowing). If not, it probably won't hold much more weight. That said, having a long-term working relationship with this person will enable them to write a much stronger letter of recommendation than someone who had you in a class for a semester, so I would think that it's to your advantage to get a LOR from him and submit it in addition to your professor letters.

This is an ideal situation, he knows you well and the school knows him. Assuming he doesn't write a terrible letter than it is a win win. The adcom would also have access to him to ask additional questions if need be. Go for it!

Survivor DO

Members don't see this ad :)