LOR from Non-Science Faculty Ideas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SolidWater

Anesthesiology Resident
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My undergrad's pre-med committee recommended a non-science letter, but it wasn't required. I didn't bother getting one, and no one on the committee or at interviews seemed to care. But then again I'm applying MD/PhD, so that might make a difference.

And don't forget LORs from research mentors, if you have any.

I think the consensus is

2x science faculty
1x non-science faculty

and others.

You don't necessarily need a letter from a physician unless you are applying as DO.

As for an additional letter, I would get one from PI who you have done research with.

And as for faculty letters, you just need to spend some time with professors you like and ask them.

I asked my physiology and biochem professors even though I did not know them too well, but they were more than willing to write me letters.

For non-science letter, I asked Honors seminar professor who I maintained connection throughout college.

Members don't see this ad :)
does the nonscience need to be from humanities?

what if i don't have any research?

Humanities or social sciences (e.g. psychology, sociology, etc.)

If you don't have research, obviously no one will expect a research LOR. But without research, you're going to have a very hard time getting into the research-focused schools (i.e. US News top ~25).

no it doesn't have to be from humanities. I would consider a letter from a research mentor still a science letter.

Have you done any continuous volunteering? Is there a supervisor that knows you well? I think the "formula" is less important than getting letters from people who know you and can speak passionately on your behalf. If you don't feel any faculty or supervisors/mentors know you that well, then take some time and get involved in something where you can make those connections.

I think the consensus is

2x science faculty
1x non-science faculty

and others.

You don't necessarily need a letter from a physician unless you are applying as DO.

As for an additional letter, I would get one from PI who you have done research with.

And as for faculty letters, you just need to spend some time with professors you like and ask them.

I asked my physiology and biochem professors even though I did not know them too well, but they were more than willing to write me letters.

For non-science letter, I asked Honors seminar professor who I maintained connection throughout college.

This. :thumbup: :)

Wow so a doctor LOR isn't needed? Will they at least help? I have at least 2-3 doctors who can give me great LORs...

It's a non-science faculty that's going to require some more work for me... :\
Sorry to say, but yes, you'd be right. 2 sci + 1 non-sci is almost a necessity. Some schools will take 3 sci LORs, but many require 1 non-sci and even more like to see at least one.

In terms of priority:

1. Science letters (2)
2. Non-science letters (1)
3. Research letters (if applicable)
4. Doctor/EC/etc. (not necessary, but can be beneficial if strong)

Letters from faculty members with whom you've taken courses (especially in a scientific discipline) are most crucial. Research letters are also beneficial, especially if you've been involved in a lab/project long-term and have an established relationship with the PI. In my own evaluation of apps, I find letters from physicians with a personal relationship with the applicant to be generally unconvincing, unless the candidate worked with them in some capacity beyond simple shadowing.

It's especially important to make sure - as well as you can - that letter writers are willing to give you their strong support. This is something where quality is far more important than quantity; submitting a stack of lukewarm letters from well-qualified writers will hurt, not help.

I am losing my mind over this non-science letter of rec business...
can someone help me out?

is a non-science rec any class outside of a qualified BCPM course? does it have to do nothing with science also excluding health sciences like nutrition? Im having trouble with this and beginning to get real worried since im applying next cycle...

Most of my courses in arts and humanities were taken freshmen year and i havent really kept contact with those teachers

I already have about 3 research/service letters, and 1 science letter....i still need another science and a non-science. (Does it matter if the science letter i have is from a faculty i haven't taken a class with, but did take PASS/NO PASS research units with?)

thanks

I graduated in May 08 and am not/was not really close with any faculty. I can try to build a relationship over the next few months, but what do you all think? How and who should I approach this problem?

I've been told I need the following LORs:
2x Science Faculty
1x Non-Science Faculty
1x Doctor
1x Other

Are LORs universal in terms of what different schools require?

You don't need a non-science letter for many schools. There's a partial list around somewhere. EDIT: Here. Click on the school's name to see their requirements. This might also be helpful.

You don't need a LOR from a physician at any MD school as far as I know. I could be wrong, but if so the exceptions are few.

"Other" is good but not really necessary either. Getting one from a boss or PI or something would be good here.

Keep in mind that the requirements are different from school to school. Some take whatever you feel like submitting, some are incredibly strict, and most are somewhere in between.

Bottom line:
-You may be able to get by with 2-3 science letters, but you will limit your options.
-If you want to absolutely cover every possibility, get:
a) 3 science (1 bio, 1 chem, 1 physics)
b) 1 non-science
c) every PI you've worked for
d) coordinator for wherever you volunteered
e) a faculty member from the department you majored in (if not included
above.
-For a happy medium, get 2 science, 1 non-science, and your PI/volunteer coordinator/boss.

Last edited:
So engineering isn't science and isn't non-science?
damn.
all of my upper division/small classes are engineering classes

it's always so awkward to ask some random professor you had a 400 person class with for a letter :(

I think that a letter from the doctor that you've shadowed consistently, or worked with in some other way, can be a valuable addition. I think that MDs can evaluate your fitness for the field in a way that is credible to admissions committees and other doctors who may read your file.

Since my pre-med committee put together the letter packet with their discretion as to what would be included, I got 3x science, 1x definitely not science (urban planning), 2x public health (one doctor in there), 1x supervisor (doctor). From glances at the packet stolen across interview tables, both doctor letters appear to be in there.

Also, after each recommender had agreed to write a letter for me, I made them a packet with my resume, personal statement (or some short 'reasons why I want to be a doctor' explanation if PS isn't done), something interesting I'd done related to their course (for science courses, just something about a topic that I enjoyed/felt I excelled at), and a cover letter that thanked them and included a few points that I hoped they'd cover in their letter. I think that this helped to keep my letters specific, instead of "she is really, really, really, cool...if i remember correctly." I also tried to sit down with each writer and have a conversation before they set out to write.

is a non-science rec any class outside of a qualified BCPM course? does it have to do nothing with science also excluding health sciences like nutrition?

I too would like to hear an answer to this. Also, would a phd nursing instructor count as non science?

Can the two science letters be research-related? I've done 4 years of research so I know those letters will be solid, but I haven't really established relationships with professors? Is that really necessary?