LOR from pharmacist and supervisor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

t012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've volunteered at my local hospital for a little over a year, almost two. I know for sure that adcom looks for LOR from pharmacists, but would it be okay for a pharmacy supervisor (who's not a pharmacist) to also write a LOR or does it not place much of an impact like it would if it came from a pharmacist? The supervisor is in charge of the volunteers and works with them the most.

Also, would it make a difference of getting a LOR from a clinical/staff pharmacist from a hospital vs. a pharmacist from retail? I've shadowed/interned a retail pharmacist as well.

For my references, I was going to ask: My inorganic/organic chemistry professor (he was my professor for both courses), 1-2 pharmacists from the hospital, and the pharmacy supervisor.

If using a pharmacist from retail doesn't matter compared to a pharmacists from the hospital, I was thinking that it may be better to then use 1 LOR from the hospital pharmacists and 1 LOR from the retail pharmacist.

I'm really unsure what's best for pharmacy schools.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd pick whichever persons know you the best to be the ones writing your letters. The biggest thing is how well they can write about you and not whether it comes from one specific place or another (ie hospital vs retail pharmacist).

In your case I'd say go with the professor for sure, one from a pharmacist at one of the pharmacies, and the last letter from whoever knows you better between a pharmacist at the other pharmacy and the volunteer supervisor.