LOR from retired professor okay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kevin.malone

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

My professor whom I did research with during undergrad is retiring end of this summer. However, I won't be applying until two years from now. Is it okay to obtain a letter from him if he is already retired? Is this still valid for med school's LOR requirements or would I have to contact each school individually?

I'm most likely going to be submitting his letter as part of my school's committee letter packet, if this makes any difference.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Its fine, just make sure he can still use letterhead.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello!

My professor whom I did research with during undergrad is retiring end of this summer. However, I won't be applying until two years from now. Is it okay to obtain a letter from him if he is already retired? Is this still valid for med school's LOR requirements or would I have to contact each school individually?

I'm most likely going to be submitting his letter as part of my school's committee letter packet, if this makes any difference.

Thanks!

Yup, won't be a problem!

Members don't see this ad :)
1) My professor whom I did research with during undergrad is retiring end of this summer. However, I won't be applying until two years from now. Is it okay to obtain a letter from him if he is already retired?
2) Is this still valid for med school's LOR requirements or would I have to contact each school individually?

3) I'm most likely going to be submitting his letter as part of my school's committee letter packet, if this makes any difference.
1) Yes.
2) Yes, but you don't want to have a lot of LORs that are more than two years old. One is fine, though.
3) It doesn't matter, unless the committee requires the letter to have a more recent date. You should be able to find out their requirements now.

1) Yes.
2) Yes, but you don't want to have a lot of LORs that are more than two years old. One is fine, though.
3) It doesn't matter, unless the committee requires the letter to have a more recent date. You should be able to find out their requirements now.

Hi @Catalystik , for your second point, do you mean if the LOR is dated about 2 years old? I was planning on asking him the year I apply.

Hi @Catalystik , for your second point, do you mean if the LOR is dated about 2 years old? I was planning on asking him the year I apply.
Yes, it was the date on the letter I was referring to, not the timeframe of your involvement with the professor. I assumed you'd want to get the letter soon, in case he relocates, gets mortally ill, goes abroad, takes another job, changes an email address, or for whatever reason, you are unable to find him to get the LOR. I've seen each of these scenarios happen, resulting in a void in the planned letter lineup. Of course, if you were going to get the letter soon, you'd need to sign up with a letter storage service.