LOR help for pharmD student applying to MD/DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tabbycatdontcur

pharmacy world →medical word
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey so I just finished with my P1 year of pharmacy school, but am applying to medical school. I was just wondering who I should get to write my LOR because most schools don't specify from what level of institution they should come from. Should I ask my undergrad profs or my pharmacy profs or a mixture of both? I have been out of undergrad for 2 years now so I am not sure what that dynamic would look like (a student coming back 2 years later to ask for more rec letters may not be too appreciated). Do medical schools care if all my institutional recs come from pharmacy school and not undergrad? I am in a more unique case than the average med school applicant so there isn't as much info out there.

any ideas/advice?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I was just wondering who I should get to write my LOR

You can submit more than just one LoR, even if it's a committee.

because most schools don't specify from what level of institution they should come from.

They don't care.

Should I ask my undergrad profs or my pharmacy profs or a mixture of both?

Whomever writes the best, most passionate, most compelling, and most representative LoRs. Not one more, not one less. It's up to you to decide who all would do this.

Do medical schools care if all my institutional recs come from pharmacy school and not undergrad?

Unlikely, especially as more time lapses between your UG and post-grad education. As long as you fulfill the individual letter requirements for the schools then it doesn't matter.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only problem is that most of them say 2 science/1 non-science letters of rec, but that's kind of hard to distinguish in pharmacy school. That's also where I am hung up.

The only problem is that most of them say 2 science/1 non-science letters of rec, but that's kind of hard to distinguish in pharmacy school. That's also where I am hung up.

Don't you have strong relationships with non-science faculty you could reach out to? Perhaps even volunteer coordinators or supervisors you have worked under.

Wait, so the non science faculty member doesn't have to be apart of academia?

Wait, so the non science faculty member doesn't have to be apart of academia?

For the science letters, of course they have to be faculty, but for the non-science it differs. If it states faculty member, that's implicit it's from academia. If it's just non-science, that may not. Schools choose what they do and do not require for letters of recommendation, and it is their discretion as to whether they wish to apply those requirements (I do NOT suggest this, but I found out I applied to one without the requirements and was eventually accepted to that very same school, go figure).

If you have any doubt in your mind, do not hesitate to contact the school. Their numbers are public for a reason.

Nonscienc letters do not need to be from faculty (though they often are).

If it says "non-science faculty member" like OP said I would assume it is required to be from academia. However, if it just says non-science letter, then it wouldn't be required to be from academia.

One word means a lot, OP might have just inserted an extraneous word.

Thanks for everyone's help! This has been such a difficult transition so I am really grateful for this!