LOR issue

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Youngm2194

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question about my LOR for summer programs. I asked my orgo prof to write a rec for summer programs on jan 7th and he said he'd be glad to do it. I responded by saying I'll be applying this week and that id send more info on the programs once I would apply. After applying I sent that email and received no response. Thinking he's just busy I didn't think much of it and sent a reminder last week since some are due the 1st erc. Didn't get a response again, even offered to go to office hours and talk since school resumed this week. Should I email again, just trust that he's gonna do it, or go to his office hours without emailing him prior? I don't want to go into his office if I don't have to in order to ask if he's doing them, idk why but I would feel like I'm being annoying....should I just send another email and if I don't get a response then go to office hours?

Members don't see this ad.

I would go to office hours. Just say that you just arrived back at campus and you wanted to stop by to touch base about the LOR. You appreciate him writing the recommendations for you and you wanted to see if there's anything else he needs from you.

I wouldn't email again, because since he's not responding. Your emails are either a) getting lost in the shuffle, or b) getting deliberately ignored. Both of those reasons are compelling enough to pay a casual visit in person.

Good luck!

Agreed with jamcat. I had a very difficult LOR situation for my AMCAS application. Although emails may be getting through or what not, speaking in person is the only way to settle both of your minds about the issue. Just make sure you are not combative. Ask if he has had time, or "When do you think you'll be able to get to my letter?" Passive questions that don't imply insubordination are best in my experiences in these situations. But really, talk to him for your own peace of mind.