LOR issues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kmd001

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have had to switch my physician LOR at the last minute (my original writer flaked out on me but rather than tell me she couldn't do it anymore she just stopped answering my calls/ returning my messages, but I asked her because she knows me quite well) My new letter writer has requested an additional week of shadowing to get to know me better and has agreed to write me a letter at the end of the week. Any tips on ways to best get this Dr to know me better without getting in the way?

Members don't see this ad.

1. Be professional, especially around patients. Dress professionally. Don't get in the way. Don't interrupt the doctor-pt interaction, just observe.
2. After seeing a patient, engage the doc in discussion about what happened. Ask smart questions. Most doctors enjoy teaching and will respond to this. But be mindful that they are very busy and you are not their top priority. YMMV on this.
3. Overall, be friendly and engaging and attentive. Demonstrate your interest in medicine so that when they go to write the LOR, they have something to say.

#2. Is more the info I was looking for. I have shadowed him before and really enjoyed my experience. From experience he is quite busy and I always have questions :).
Thanks for the advice.

Edt: what does YMMV stand for?

Members don't see this ad :)
#2. Is more the info I was looking for. I have shadowed him before and really enjoyed my experience. From experience he is quite busy and I always have questions :).
Thanks for the advice.

Edt: what does YMMV stand for?
your mileage may vary.

It means that your experience may be different than that of others.

Ah, thanks..I haven't seen that one before

Hey quick question to whomever. I was used to just sending MD schools my committee letter and didn't realize whether or not DO schools have different requirements. I know most want a DO LOR but will a committee letter be sufficient for the 3 letters from science and nonscience faculty or w/e?

Hey quick question to whomever. I was used to just sending MD schools my committee letter and didn't realize whether or not DO schools have different requirements. I know most want a DO LOR but will a committee letter be sufficient for the 3 letters from science and nonscience faculty or w/e?

Each school has their own requirements, usually listed on their website or secondary email. Most will take the committee letter, but some have very strict letter requirements if you don't have a committee letter (like me).

Most schools require a physician letter (MD or DO), but some require a DO letter.

Do some research for the schools you are interested in.

dsoz

OP , here is what I did when I was shadowing: After the Dr. finished with a patient and was writing up in the patient's file, I would ask questions about the patient's symptoms, the treatment plan, etc. Don't ask too many and only ask questions that are genuine. Meaning don't be throwing questions at the Doctor just for the sake of asking something. Most physicians are more than happy to share their knowledge with you.

If the doctor has few minutes of free time, feel free to ask about where the physician received his/her education, what their residency was like, how they handle work load with personal life, etc. Just general getting to know type of questions. This will also open the discussion for you to talk about some of your own ambitions and will allow the physician to learn more about you.