LOR not from medical person?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MinnyGophers

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I was just wondering whether it is okay to have a LOR from someone who is a professor at a dental school, more precisely, someone who sits on my university's dental school's admissions committee? Would that be weird, as I'm applying for a medical school?

I do research for that person.

Members don't see this ad.

MinnyGophers said:
Hi guys!

I was just wondering whether it is okay to have a LOR from someone who is a professor at a dental school, more precisely, someone who sits on my university's dental school's admissions committee? Would that be weird, as I'm applying for a medical school?

recommendation letters are recommendation letters. However, if they are glowing about your experience with dentistry, and not much is mentioned about clinical work and how they might be applicable to allopathic or osteopathic medicine, that might be an issue. However, for the most part, most recommendations ask about their own experience in working with you, your qualities as an academic student, etc. etc. I doubt that recommendations from someone of a rival school would merit a raised brow.

MinnyGophers said:
Hi guys!

I was just wondering whether it is okay to have a LOR from someone who is a professor at a dental school,....

ABSOLUTELY! If you don't have a LOR from the person for whom you do (or have done) research, it is a major red flag. Get that letter!

Members don't see this ad :)
How about not having a letter from someone whom you shadowed? I shadowed a physician for a few months but I haven't asked him for a LOR...would that be a red flag?

no, i wouldnt think so. It might be helpful, but shadowing only goes so far until you start getting into clinical research. You would probably be better off by getting a recommendation from someone youworked with for longer who knows you better

Raekwon said:
How about not having a letter from someone whom you shadowed? I shadowed a physician for a few months but I haven't asked him for a LOR...would that be a red flag?

No. Most docs who you shadow can't say much other than that you showed up on time, were clean and respectful and asked good questions. Most of that information isn't of much use to adcoms because that is the bare minimum expected of an applicant and the adcom can see that for itself when you interview.