LOR + prerequisite HELP please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannagetinsobad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I haven't asked any professors for LOR yet.. I'm planning on emailing them soon ish like by the end of this weekend.. anyways, what do I need to attach with the email? just my resume?? I don't have my personal statement yet... (I feel like i'm very behind...) Also, I know that you can't create account for pharmcas till june, so how do the professors turn LOR in?? Is there a form they need to follow for recommendation letter???

Members don't see this ad.

I would actually like to know the answer to this as well. From my understanding, we ask them ahead of time so that they can have one ready and not have to rush later. Then, once we create a PharmCAS account later, we send them a link and they just submit it?

Is there a reason you can't meet with them in person? I'd set up an appointment...more personal. You can bring your CV and TELL them why you want to go to pharmacy school instead of giving them a personal statement tailored for pharmCAS. The best LORs come from people who know you.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should do what rxlea suggested on doing. Also, trangalang is correct. You have to wait for PharmCAS to open and then input your professors' emails, so they could send emails out to your professors for their LORs.

Is there a reason you can't meet with them in person? I'd set up an appointment...more personal. You can bring your CV and TELL them why you want to go to pharmacy school instead of giving them a personal statement tailored for pharmCAS. The best LORs come from people who know you.

This. I felt really awkward contemplating making the initial request for LoRs via e-mail. I would send them a "heads up" e-mail just before you stick their information in PharmCAS. The e-mail from PharmCAS goes out very quickly after you hit "okay" - I was surprised. I invited my writers to contact me if there were any issues, and there did end up being a password issue PharmCAS had to fix for one of my writers. (They were responsive, it was just that I had more time to wait on hold than the writer did.)

If I set up an appointment to meet with a professor, what do I say it is regarding in the e-mail? Do I just ask when he is available because I would like to set an appointment to speak with him? Have any of you mentioned the reason for visiting? Thanks.

I would just mention something like you would like to speak to them regarding professional or graduate school, or something along those lines. So I take it then that these are probably huge lecture classes that you are considering getting these LOR's from? In other words the professor doesn't know you? Also, do you work at all in pharmacy? I only ask because a LOR from a pharmacist would be the best. It's hard to expect awesome LOR's from professor's who don't know you. It sucks plus I actually knew a person before who got a bad LOR from a teacher!

So I haven't asked any professors for LOR yet.. I'm planning on emailing them soon ish like by the end of this weekend.. anyways, what do I need to attach with the email? just my resume?? I don't have my personal statement yet... (I feel like i'm very behind...) Also, I know that you can't create account for pharmcas till june, so how do the professors turn LOR in?? Is there a form they need to follow for recommendation letter???

Are you applying to the 2013 cycle? If so, why do you feel so far behind?

I plan on applying this summer as well. I haven't given much thought of when to talk to my professor or employer for a LOR...when would be the ideal time to do this? I don't want to wait until the last minute, but then again, is there such a thing as "too early" to ask?

I would just mention something like you would like to speak to them regarding professional or graduate school, or something along those lines. So I take it then that these are probably huge lecture classes that you are considering getting these LOR's from? In other words the professor doesn't know you? Also, do you work at all in pharmacy? I only ask because a LOR from a pharmacist would be the best. It's hard to expect awesome LOR's from professor's who don't know you. It sucks plus I actually knew a person before who got a bad LOR from a teacher!

Thank you for your help! With this professor, I spoke to him a lot when I took his course and he knew I was pursuing Pharmacy, but since then we've spoken maybe twice a semester. It was a big lecture hall class (actually, all my classes are! :laugh:) but I'm sure he remembers me. :)

Thank you for your help! With this professor, I spoke to him a lot when I took his course and he knew I was pursuing Pharmacy, but since then we've spoken maybe twice a semester. It was a big lecture hall class (actually, all my classes are! :laugh:) but I'm sure he remembers me. :)

Oh that's great then! Anytime they know you personally that always makes for a better LOR. Well, as long as they actually think highly of you:laugh: Who is going to do your second one?

I actually emailed them.. Told them my name, what course I took from them and what I received and how frequently I went to office hours/things to remind them of me! And I asked them if they were willing to write me a STRONG letter of recommendation. Also, I asked if I could formally meet with them to discuss this. And when we met and they said yes, I handed them a folder with my resume/CV, transcript, personal statement and waiver forms. Lastly, I told them that they could either send it electronically when they receive the email or send it back to my school's LOR service with the pharmcas evaluation form, which in that case would be paper....

I actually didn't talk to one of my organic professors all that much since he taught like 700 students... (2 lectures...) and had the same office hours for both classes.. -.- But he was very nice in that he set up a meeting with each student to get to know them while writing the letter of recommendation so it was all personalized! :) Only downside was...you had to have gotten a A.... that certainly narrows it down... Haha

Hope it works out for you! :)

I actually emailed them.. Told them my name, what course I took from them and what I received and how frequently I went to office hours/things to remind them of me! And I asked them if they were willing to write me a STRONG letter of recommendation. Also, I asked if I could formally meet with them to discuss this. And when we met and they said yes, I handed them a folder with my resume/CV, transcript, personal statement and waiver forms. Lastly, I told them that they could either send it electronically when they receive the email or send it back to my school's LOR service with the pharmcas evaluation form, which in that case would be paper....

I actually didn't talk to one of my organic professors all that much since he taught like 700 students... (2 lectures...) and had the same office hours for both classes.. -.- But he was very nice in that he set up a meeting with each student to get to know them while writing the letter of recommendation so it was all personalized! :) Only downside was...you had to have gotten a A.... that certainly narrows it down... Haha

Hope it works out for you! :)

Thanks for sharing your experience! That definitely helps give me ideas on how to approach it.

DiveHawaii, not 100% sure yet. I have one professor I've had in mind for awhile, who I took two courses with and knew well, however she took a medical leave this semester and I haven't heard any news since. :( I have a few other options for professor LORs but this professor would be ideal.

DiveHawaii, not 100% sure yet. I have one professor I've had in mind for awhile, who I took two courses with and knew well, however she took a medical leave this semester and I haven't heard any news since. :( I have a few other options for professor LORs but this professor would be ideal.

Well I assume you are planning to apply for 2013 correct? If so then you have plenty of time so to speak. I would just be patient for a little while longer and see if she turns up or if you can find out from another professor or something when she will be back, hopefully it will be soon.:xf: I wish you the best of luck! Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.:)

Keep in mind that the earlier you ask a professor, the better. I know this professor who has a 2 year wait list for rec. letter, so it wouldnt hurt to ask your professor even 1 or 2 yrs ahead.