LOR problem..can't tell if letter will be good or bad..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confusedchild

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm in a very big dilemma right now. I've been working in a lab for 2 years, and logically speaking and to not raise a red flag esp at research heavy schools, I'm obligated to submit a letter form the PI of this lab. It's actually a pretty big lab but I have gotten to know the PI very well as I've been working directly under him for the past year. My major issue is this...

The better that you get to know the person, the more the person knows about your strengths but also your FAULTS...

Last October, I applied to a school wide award for seniors and he wrote me an LOR for it. It is a pretty prestigious and competitive award, and I won it so I assumed after that point that a subsequent LOR from him for medical school would be a strong one as well...

I found out over the past week that he realized that for one of my classes that I took with a postdoc from the same lab, that I only attended 70% of the lectures. I had a good reason because I had a scheduling conflict and could not make it to all classes but I utilized all resources possible and knew I could handle it. I walked out rank 1/300 students from the class and received an A+. My concern now is that he knows my positive work ethics, my strong GPA, my amiable personality, etc...; however, he also knows little things like not attending 100% of the lectures and I don't know what else he knows that might possibly be negative.

I have very strong LORs from other professors/lecturers but it seems like since he is my PI, a letter from him is a must. I don't know what to do. I don't want a few negative comments amidst positive words to sink my chances. What should I do?

I can't tell if it will be a good LOR or a bad one. I'm confused...
But I also know that no LOR is better than a bad LOR.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

I'm in a very big dilemma right now. I've been working in a lab for 2 years, and logically speaking and to not raise a red flag esp at research heavy schools, I'm obligated to submit a letter form the PI of this lab. It's actually a pretty big lab but I have gotten to know the PI very well as I've been working directly under him for the past year. My major issue is this...

The better that you get to know the person, the more the person knows about your strengths but also your FAULTS...

Last October, I applied to a school wide award for seniors and he wrote me an LOR for it. It is a pretty prestigious and competitive award, and I won it so I assumed after that point that a subsequent LOR from him for medical school would be a strong one as well...

I found out over the past week that he realized that for one of my classes that I took with a postdoc from the same lab, that I only attended 70% of the lectures. I had a good reason because I had a scheduling conflict and could not make it to all classes but I utilized all resources possible and knew I could handle it. I walked out rank 1/300 students from the class and received an A+. My concern now is that he knows my positive work ethics, my strong GPA, my amiable personality, etc...; however, he also knows little things like not attending 100% of the lectures and I don't know what else he knows that might possibly be negative.

I have very strong LORs from other professors/lecturers but it seems like since he is my PI, a letter from him is a must. I don't know what to do. I don't want a few negative comments amidst positive words to sink my chances. What should I do?

I can't tell if it will be a good LOR or a bad one. I'm confused...
But I also know that no LOR is better than a bad LOR.

Um just read it or maybe he would even let you right it. He's probably very busy...honestly people make a HUGE deal on here how you're not supposed to read your letters of rec. Everyone at my school always reads them...why would you be so stupid to unknowingly send a negative letter. Your pre-med adviser also will have to see this letter when you make your committee letter...and I assume he will tell you if it's good or bad.

Honestly this is no big deal. If its good, use it. If its bad, toss it.

Rank 1/300?...lol calm down you're getting in somewhere

Moving out of What are My Chances into Pre-Allo.

I wouldn't worry about it; of course anyone that knows you well enough to write you a letter is going to know some blemishes, but if they have no reason to hate you, I'm sure they'll leave those things out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think you have anything to worry about. Profs usually know that students don't attend all lectures. Give him a CV when he writes your LOR so that you can remind him of your accomplishments.

Um just read it or maybe he would even let you right it. He's probably very busy...honestly people make a HUGE deal on here how you're not supposed to read your letters of rec. Everyone at my school always reads them...why would you be so stupid to unknowingly send a negative letter.
Um, at my school we have to sign a piece of paper that says we haven't read our letters. I think this is an academic honesty thing, not an SDN neuroses thing.

Anyway, OP, I think you're fine. If anything, the little quirks he knows about you will make it a stronger letter because it will show he KNOWS you. If he was behind you for the award (which one person gets) why wouldn't he be behind you for med school admissions (which lots of people get).