LOR process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brownemily22

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
what is the usual procedure for sending out LORs? do we just ask the recommenders to send them out to schools (i am not using a pre-med committee letter)? can schools receive LORs before they receive secondaries?

Members don't see this ad.

You should wait for secondaries (but don't wait too long, a lot are on-line and can be filled out without waiting for schools to send them) as the secondary tells you what the school's LOR requirements are and sometimes asks you to list the names of your recommenders. The most common requirement is 2 science, 1 non-science, but a few schools have more specific requirements.

Originally posted by brownemily22
what is the usual procedure for sending out LORs? do we just ask the recommenders to send them out to schools (i am not using a pre-med committee letter)? can schools receive LORs before they receive secondaries?

Also some schools screen for sending LORs? UMich is the one I can think of...

-RA

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, U Mich does screen for LORs after and in addition to screening for the secondary!! But, they will tell you that on their secondary, if you get it. The point is that schools use their secondaries to give you information about how and when they want LORs from you.

brownemily, I will bump up the thread on which schools screen for secondaries for you. Best of luck on your applications!! :)

thanks guys. but what i really wanted to know is do we ask our recommenders to actually send them directly to the schools? or have you found it easier to just obtain a copy of the letters from each recommender and send them to schools yourself?

also, does it matter if the schools get secondaries after they get some LORs?

Hey brownemily--

Does your undergrad have a reference service? I was able to use mine and found it very helpful, even though I graduated over a year ago. With a reference service, you get your reference-writers to send an LOR to the service (not the schools you're applying to), and then once all your letters come in they send out all the letters in one big packet. It makes everyone happy-- reduces your stress level, your recommenders only have to send one letter one place (instead of to each seperate school), and the schools get the letters as one packet instead of individually, which has to be easier to keep track of.

If a reference service isn't an option, I would give each recommender a stack of stamped envelopes with the addresses of all the schools you're applying to. I would not forward them myself b/c you're supposed to waive your right to view the letter. Also remember that if your undergrad has a premed committee, you are supposed to send a committee letter. My undergrad doesn't have a committee, so I can't help you there.

good luck and i hope this helps!!

My advice to LOR seekers is use the letter service and more importantly ASK EARLY! My app has been held up for weeks by my LORS. The will finally be complete this week.

It is my fault, since I underestimated the time needed to get it all complete. Ask for letters in May or before. I am all about procrastinating, but do not procrastinate on this. This has made a huge impact on my ability to get a complete file.