LOR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xueminak

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have some questions about LORs. I have been working in a resturant for over eight years, I am wonder if a LOR from the boss of the resturant count? Or it has to come from science related background? Since I have been working over there for so long, people there know me so well and I am sure I will get a great LOR from the boss.
The second question is, if it counts, if it's OK for someone else write for my boss since he is not a native English speaker? Of course he will review the LOR after it is written and then sign on it.
Many thanks for any answers!:love:

Members don't see this ad.

I currently work as a Fiscal Technician at a Payroll office and one of my letter was from my current supervisor. So I feel as though a LoR from your boss should be fine especially since he's known you for so many years, but make sure your other letters are from people who are science/healthcare related.

As far as your second question, it's my personal opinion that it shouldn't be OK but I know for fact that some professors do it. Some of my friends told me that professors have the students write the letters themselves (awkward much?) then the professors review and sign it. Yes, it's no longer confidential because an applicant wrote the letter, but I guess schools don't know about it, smh So ....... it happens..
**I know you were wondering because your boss isn't a native English speaker, so don't mean anything negative**

Good luck with everything!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply! I am planning to get one LOR from a pharmacist and another from a science prof other than that, and for my second question, I didn't mean to write it by myself though, I mean by someone else, like a friend of my boss, like my boss tells his friend what to write, and then sign it, I didn't know professors even let student to write the LOR, how lucky LOL

Thanks for the reply! I am planning to get one LOR from a pharmacist and another from a science prof other than that, and for my second question, I didn't mean to write it by myself though, I mean by someone else, like a friend of my boss, like my boss tells his friend what to write, and then sign it, I didn't know professors even let student to write the LOR, how lucky LOL

Personally, I don't see any problem with your boss' friend translating the LoR. Like...your boss writes the LoR in his native language and then the friend goes and rewrites the LoR, but in English instead.

It's fine. Your boss will receive an email from PharmCAS to upload his LoR in a certain way- as long as he understands what he is signing, and can vouch for its validity, it should not be a problem. GL!

Yes, I thought about your boss writing in his native language and someone translating for him after I wrote my last comment so like people mentioned above I think you are fine :)

Well my friend's prof apparently gave list of questions for her to answer so my friend spent good deal of time answering those questions because she thought the prof was going to incorporate those answers when writing the letter. But I guess that was just to have her think about herself in the shoes of the letter writer lol I'm not sure if I would like writing my own letter .. I wouldn't want to be too modest but still feel obligated to praise myself ... Glad I didn't have to do that haha