LOR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kwel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to ophtho, but will be doing a prelim IM program. Are there specific requirements for LORs for these programs? I have 1 IM and 3 ophtho LORs. Do they usually require more IM letters or a chairman medicine letter? Is there any "official" info on this that someone could link me to, because I definitely didn't see it anywhere in ERAS... or maybe this is just program-specific and I have to check the individual websites. Any help would be appreciated, as my school provides little to no guidance on the prelim year app

Members don't see this ad.

You'll have to check individual program websites. I applied with 1 IM, 2 anesthesia, and 1 gen surg letters, and I ended up getting quite a few invites.

There's no absolute rule and I doubt every program lists their requirements, but think about it. Programs hire prelims for cheap labor for a year. They know you're not planning a career in IM. One letter from IM stating you're not a total F*** up is probably sufficient.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's no absolute rule and I doubt every program lists their requirements, but think about it. Programs hire prelims for cheap labor for a year. They know you're not planning a career in IM. One letter from IM stating you're not a total F*** up is probably sufficient.

Thanks, I guess that puts it in perspective hah

Another question: How are you guys choosing where to apply? My thought is that most people just choose prelim years based on location/cushiness, but is there some sort of major benefit to doing it at a large academic center vs. a private/county/community hospital? And when is it considered "too late" to apply to a program (and actually expect to get an interview). I would ideally like to do a prelim in the same city as my categorical in order to minimize the # of times I move, but I was considering adding programs as I find out where I'm getting interviews so I can really hone my locations. Is this common? Sorry I know that was more than one question!

Thanks, I guess that puts it in perspective hah

Another question: How are you guys choosing where to apply? My thought is that most people just choose prelim years based on location/cushiness, but is there some sort of major benefit to doing it at a large academic center vs. a private/county/community hospital? And when is it considered "too late" to apply to a program (and actually expect to get an interview). I would ideally like to do a prelim in the same city as my categorical in order to minimize the # of times I move, but I was considering adding programs as I find out where I'm getting interviews so I can really hone my locations. Is this common? Sorry I know that was more than one question!

It may be too late to add prelim programs and expect to get interviews once you are offered advanced position interviews. I would recommend applying to a bunch of prelims in each city that you apply to advanced positions.

It may be too late to add prelim programs and expect to get interviews once you are offered advanced position interviews. I would recommend applying to a bunch of prelims in each city that you apply to advanced positions.

Not necessarily. Many programs in ophtho have gentleman's agreements with their corresponding prelim program or hospital. If you match they will offer you an interview if you ask the PD from the ophtho program for one AND you 100% intend to go there if you match. When programs add people late you just have to pay the additional ERAS fee. The prelim program can't rank you unless you have paid that fee.

To the OP, do the easiest TY or prelim you can find. There is nothing to gain from a tough intern year when you start ophtho. Even the easiest TY will have long days. No need to torture yourself with high volume IM patients if you don't have to. Your extra time is better spent reading in ophthalmology.

Is there any utility to submitting a research LOR? I have 3 clinical, 1 chairman, and 1 research LOR. I obviously have to submit the chairman one, but for the other three I was thinking either 2 clinical + 1 research or simply all 3 clinical. My research one from my PI is by and large my strongest one, but I'm not so sure prelim programs would care about my research ability, right?

I know many of you will say "it's just prelim, it doesn't matter!" But the program I want to go to (near my fiancee) is extremely competitive :(