LOR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luckywong

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If the schools state that they need the committee letter or 2 science letters (if you don't have the committee letter), is it okay to send them both committee and 2 science letters? Because I barely know the writer/prof who write the committee letter and I'm not sure what the content is in there. Is there any pro's and cons sending with or without committee letter? And the schools do not mention about the maxi numbers of letters. So would it be fine to send others letters, i.e. I have another non-science prof letter, and 1 MD letter? Appreciate for any advice/suggestion!

Members don't see this ad.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought committee letters should contain all of your LORs and a cover letter by the committee head so it's really a letter packet.

Even if that's not that case, if you are unsure I would send the the exact letters the schools request, you can't really go wrong doing what they want. A committee letter allows you to send more letters in a more formal way.

If the schools state that they need the committee letter or 2 science letters (if you don't have the committee letter), is it okay to send them both committee and 2 science letters? Because I barely know the writer/prof who write the committee letter and I'm not sure what the content is in there. Is there any pro's and cons sending with or without committee letter? And the schools do not mention about the maxi numbers of letters. So would it be fine to send others letters, i.e. I have another non-science prof letter, and 1 MD letter? Appreciate for any advice/suggestion!

If your school has a committee, and you're eligible to use it, then I would suggest you just use the committee letter packet. Most schools prefer the committee letter packet.

Members don't see this ad :)
If your school has a committee, and you're eligible to use it, then I would suggest you just use the committee letter packet. Most schools prefer the committee letter packet.

I'm now confused. I thought the committee letter is one letter which summarizes all the letters I have. or does the school mean "committee letter" by a packet including all letters? I understand how it works for MD schools but I still dont get it for DO schools. Anybody please help?

It really depends on how your school does it. I suggest you make an appointment with your pre-health advisor and get some more clarification. I would say most schools do a composite letter that includes either segments of or the complete letters of referral, but you should ask for more information. I don't know of any schools that treat MD and DO candidates differently when it comes to committee letters.