LOR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pirateslayme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

So I have a question regarding LORs. One of my recs just asked me if there are any important points I want him to make to give me the best possible chance at admission. I definitely know what I am good at and have brainstormed a few to tell him but I am at a point where, knowing how competitive admission is, I feel like no matter what I say it won't be good enough.
I am just curious if any one has any idea what competitive LORs talk about and if there are any general points that should be made in a good LOR. This is just so I get an idea if I am over thinking this way too much and how my points might compare.
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It's a bit subjective, but I think the best LORs are illustrative of your unique achievements and positive attributes.

Instead of saying "Jay is very helpful at the clinic" it will give details about how awesome Jay is. Maybe specific, stellar examples of times that Jay went above and beyond to help. Maybe he helps elderly clients give fluids to their cat at home, stays late whenever it's needed, etc etc

Or instead of "Jay is a good student", it can highlight good grades and in addition to specific projects, lab work, or awards plus examples of an inquisitive mind eager to learn about medicine.

Instead of saying "Jay has overcome difficulties during his studies and continues to excel" perhaps there's an anecdote about Jay that helps us understand who he is.

Point is, there are many boring letters that will just list traits and sound like every other LOR written by someone who doesn't really know you. I think the best ones are full of great examples of your strengths so the ad com can get a better picture of who your are - not just some general compliments.

Great thanks for your help. He's known me for 3 years so hopefully my letter will be more than a list of traits but its good to get an idea of important points he should make. Thanks for your help!